aberdeen-music

I'm on an EP and I'm not liking it...

Humey Whilem

Ok here's something to think about...

As a favour (hey the guy gave me a guitar it's the least I could do) I said yes to recording some lap steel for a friend back home. The end result is horrible! He's put crap effect on it and I'm not happy at all with what the song's come out as. CRINGE. I'm not too fussed but still.

Any similar experiences? Would you tell them to take your part off the track?

Also, I kept telling him to pronounce frown as frown and not as thrown. Should I tell him it's still there?

Guest idol_wild

Did he ask you if he could put it on?

I think it's a bit cheeky of him. I wouldn't bother asking him to remove it, especially if it's just an independently released DIY sort of thing...just don't ever listen to it! :up:

Yeah, he asked me to record it specifically for the EP.

Thing is, it's gonna be a relatively 'big' studio mix type thing as he's got free access to a studio. It's gonna get some PR too I suppose.

I'm not gonna ask him to not use it (he already has). But I guess he should have checked to see if I was happy enough with the end result.

Lessons learned I suppose.

You were "hired" to play some lap steel, not co-produce the track so you'll just have to grin and bear it.

I imagine that's what the guy would say if you brought up the subject, maybe couched in more diplomatic terms but...

I suppose you're right. Still. If he likes the stuff I do and the way it sounds, then why change it...

A pseudonym would be fun. Ach well, no one's gonna listen to his stuff anyway :)

In this case I'm not too fussed, I'll probably bring it up next time I'm over there and we're having a pint in the pub, but still. It is interesting, I mean it does make you think how much you'd want to sacrifice.

I laid down some beats (was hired) for Ziggy that were going to help him with his writing for the latest FOUND album. My drums appear on four of the tracks all chopped up and sampled. Now't I could do about if I wanted to, othery than not have my name mentioned, which he wouldn't have to do. Happy or otherwise with the results little I could do, as Ian has stated... As it is I am and will be happy!

Wait till you here what I do to your guitar recordings...

i once helped a (will remain unnamed) band record a basic demo in the band practice room i ran ages and ages ago,

it was a really basic recording , pretty ok but not great and i wasnt a fan of the music but said id help them out (i.e press record and stop and edit it)

i got a production credit!

madness

ive had some pretty embarassing musical adventures , unfortunately most of them are my own fault and cant be blamed on any one else!

i once agreed to play lounge piano for a cabaret night

that was pretty random

and a mistake