Doors 8pm

Door tax 5

featuring

Si-cut.db live

& dj Philippe Petit (Mr Bip_Hop)

London club curator (Sprawl), producer, compiler & live performer

Douglas Benford brings his alter ego Si-cut.db, to perform

one of his amazing rhythmical, dubby but minimalist electronic sets which

went down so well last year @ The Lemon Tree.

DJ Phillippe Petit, owns & runs France's most famous cutting edge

state of the art electronic label Bip_Hop. Tonight however he will perform

his near ledgendary three hour DJ set, featuring all FEMALE singers, covering

a multitude of musical genres. Phillipe is well known for his duel tracking & overlaying

even at times adding some shortwave radio interferance, all with typical

Gallic panache.

www.bip-hop.com

There will be dancing in Dr Drakes, like never B4..................

Originally posted by unknown pleasures:

still, I thought both were top notch at the UP Bip Hop night. I hope Si-cut.db is wearing his jumper again.

swing yar thing mr UP, Mr Ragu was amazing @ kid606 or was it knifechophand

thats why his karate chops were so impressive, he thought he was davechophand

hehe

Originally posted by ragudave:

Its a little known fact that Chilli closed the Tivoli with his stand up performances....

The well known fact about the Tivoli closing down, is down to financial matters ie accountants, auditors & councilors getting their claws into something that needs a good kicking or is NOT flavour of the month, ahem say no more...................

I think ive only been in the Tivoli twice & once was via open doors. That wasn't much of a laughing matter.

here's the full biog

si-cut.db (live) aka Douglas Benford has had so many guises in the past, not to mention side projects and collaborations, that you might be forgiven for being more familiar with his label and music night SPRAWL. Douglas did a lot of experimenting in the

80s with pop and ambient music, moving into more full-on instrumental dance music in the late 80s, with the whole "acid house" revolution. He released a load of 12"s under the SIDECUT>>DB moniker, working with artists such as St Etienne's Sarah Cracknell, Momus and Scanner. Gradually this metamorphosed into si-{cut}.db, in the kind of 'intelligent electronica' guise. Asked if he has a 'musical vision' as such, Douglas seems again to suggest a strong unwillingness to compromise. "Although it is difficult to know whether what one produces will stand the test of time, I don't really care about that, I just do it for myself at the time. I always start with the question 'what do I want to hear?' rather than what should I play to please other people...I make music that I would want to go out and buy". His music reflects his interests in dub/sound processing, but still rooted in melody and rhythm. " A lot of the sounds were fragments of the sound of wood splintered and broken, although they are integrated to such a degree that you can't really tell what they are." He's keen to move the sound on further, whether on his own, or through collaborations, which help him 'think and work differently': Again testimony to his disciplined work ethic is the number of international gigs he's done recently, playing new material out live in the US, France, Germany, Australia and Spain. Not surprisingly, his music seems to have accrued a rather cosmopolitan flavour: "in the US I am presumed to be Canadian, in France I was asked if I was German. So it's good not to be associated with English music!' With that in mind, it's not surprising that Douglas's idea of a compliment is to be told that he sounds like 'Jan Jelenik on a good day', which someone bestowed on him in Glasgow. But with increasing attention being paid to him in the music press over in the UK, with accolades from the likes of Time Out and The Wire, he may not be able to abstain from giving his music a nationality for very much longer. ://home.earthlink.net/~efrans/benford/

Phillipe Petite (DJ set)

Philippe has chosen to use his e-mail address, ip@bip-hop.com, as his

"live" alias to keep it easy, and avoid pretentiousness too often

encountered among DJ circles. According to him a DJ is not only an

instrument for dancing but as a living musical library he should also take

his audience to a new cultural trip/discovery. Philippe wants to entertain

listeners and to open new "doors of perception", to create a virtual world

to enable them to forget about their own existence for a short while.

Philippe tries to tell us a story, with a beginning and an end.

The content of the mix is obviously of critical importance, but the DJ's

technique should never overflow its creative aspect (inspiration); however,

it must bring the live touch to the fluid sequence music to give birth in

the end, to a unique and truly lively performance. DJ ip@bip-hop.com is specialized in mixing electronica, ambientism, avant hip-hop, dubby and minimal-techno in a plunderphonic way, essential part of different songs all mixed together to keep the rhythm alive. Using 2CD players + a laptop to add sci-fi, prepared guitar chords, various clicks and electro acoustic or field recordings in the background forming a

tapestry of sound, running up to 6 different sources altogether to create a

mess of asymetrical electrode. Topping it all he surfs through the waves of

his mobile radio player ,improvising through radio frequencies, noises.

With many levels going on at once, it's a great depth that he creates.

Phillipe has been preparing a set using only music from all girl bands,

very electro, rock but rhythmic and dance-floor, guaranteed to make girls

scream.... there will be dancing!

bip-hop.com

Originally posted by psydoll:

I know where I can head for some sanctuary!

Thats better,

an evening of awesome eletrodubbiness, along with a French dj who is not afraid to spin classics within classics???????? His set @ the lemon tree last year was amazing pure joy pure dance orientated, Drakes will see nothing like this, clear the tables Sharon/Jim

Originally posted by psydoll:

Ah weel if Eighties Matchbox in Glasgow falls through then I know where I can head for some sanctuary!

I've not seen them since they played in The Malt Mill a bit of time back - a slightly manic lead singer if I remember correctly...

Originally posted by chilli:

Thats better,

an evening of awesome eletrodubbiness, along with a French dj who is not afraid to spin classics within classics???????? His set @ the lemon tree last year was amazing pure joy pure dance orientated, Drakes will see nothing like this, clear the tables Sharon/Jim

I seem to remember you singing along to suicide, chilli ...

which - as anyone who caught your dulcet tones at Puerto Muerto will testify - was very special moment indeed.

still, joy division into new order, with lots of radio noise on top, kept me happy.

I seem to remember you singing along to suicide, chilli ...

which - as anyone who caught your dulcet tones at Puerto Muerto will testify - was very special moment indeed.

still, joy division into new order, with lots of radio noise on top, kept me happy.

At leat you didn't say my singing was shocking, unlike a certain Philip Jeck fan who was standing right next to mre @ Puerto Muerto. I was just enjoying myself.

As far as Phillipe Petit's set this time, i am sure he will mix classic female vocals & overlay with Joy Division New Order, Smiths etc with amazing results.

Songs within songs & true improvisation.

At leat you didn't say my singing was shocking, unlike a certain Philip Jeck fan who was standing right next to mre @ Puerto Muerto. I was just enjoying myself.

As far as Phillipe Petit's set this time, i am sure he will mix classic female vocals & overlay with Joy Division New Order, Smiths etc with amazing results.

Songs within songs & true improvisation.

well, I was another couple of feet away, so the impact faded a little ...

well, I was another couple of feet away, so the impact faded a little ...

thanks for that vote of confidence, i'll get practicing for Sunday night now.

All the knock em dead electro dance moves have been put inplace, so its a

all singing & dancing chilli

thanks for that vote of confidence, i'll get practicing for Sunday night now.

All the knock em dead electro dance moves have been put inplace, so its a

all singing & dancing chilli

Mike please dont watch that Thriller video again ! Get Gabba Granny 7 out of the videoshop instead...