aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
framheim

Independence, have your say

Guest Steven Dedalus

To be fair, this thread isn't that interesting.

Enough of your political rabble rousing, Officer! Learn to accept the boot of repression!

Did anyone see the article in the EE the other day? Some of the responses from members of the public were ace... "I think Scotland should be independent because I am a true Scot!"

Good een.

thats almost as good as my attitude to scottish independence - if scotland get independence then they can stop blaming everything on the english! i love being shallow, me!

I think the end result of this is going to be a referendum win for more powers - independence will be fiercely opposed, but no party (except Labour - but that depends how well they're doing in the polls at the time) will realistically oppose gaining more powers, especially as even the Tories are supporting more powers for Holyrood.

The real question is what these extra powers will be - taxation and benefits will likely be one of the most likely items, but after that, it's not so clear cut.

On the other hand, Des Browne's recent comments, including a thinly veiled threat about scrapping the Scotland Act were utterly ridiculous. It would create a huge constitutional crisis if Labour did anything along those lines and could quite possibly trigger independence - is that what they really want?