aberdeen-music

Electronic components

spellchecker

Where do people buy electronic components in Aberdeen, other than Maplin? Maplin are handy but are a big rip off. I would buy online, but I'm struggling to find one retailer that has everything I want, and don't want to get stung by delivery charges from multiple places.

What happened to Grampian Electronics, did they go bust?

There's a RS place up in Altens, but does anyone know if it has a customer front end or is it trade only?

ta

Originally posted by Tav:

www.maplin.co.uk you said they were a rip off but the prices are good as far as I am concerned that's where I source my bits n pieces from.

Well I love Maplin for a browse, but I'll give you an example of why I think they are expensive.

I recently had a need to make several 50cm mono leads. At Maplin, the 6.35mm mono jack connectors are 99p each. Yet on the internet, I can buy from several different companies, the same product for 17p a throw. That shows you the markup they make on small components. They are better on cabling though, I haven't yet found a place that has the variety of cable that Maplin stores have.

You're right, Maplin are good for a one-off project where you buy everything you need, and you can save on postage too. But do things in bulk and they become rather uneconomic.

Guest Neubeatz
But where are they located? I went up to the shop at Don Street but the shop was all shut up!

As far as I know they are stiil there , maybe it was a holiday???

Phone on 01224 481000

Re: Re: Electronic components

Originally posted by Chris:

RS are trade only as far as I'm aware.

And not much better to boot, pricewise. I found this great place online:

http://www.cpc.co.uk

It seems to be a frontend to the farnell site, yet I couldn't find half of the components on the farnell site. The website itself is a bit unwieldy to use with the categories, but the search facility is really handy.

Amongst other things, I got 30 mono jack connectors and 100m drum of double insulated single core audio cable for 31 quid, which would have cost about 70 quid at Maplin.

Originally posted by ghost:

What are you building, a MONSTER?! :)

Hah, no. But the thought had crossed my mind. It's just a cheaper way of making patch cables and guitar leads, hopefully I won't have to buy any ever again now. I could make a wig out of the cable with the jacks at the end, aka the predator.

Originally posted by spellchecker:

Hah, no. But the thought had crossed my mind. It's just a cheaper way of making patch cables and guitar leads, hopefully I won't have to buy any ever again now. I could make a wig out of the cable with the jacks at the end, aka the predator.

... a human mixing desk... hmm....