aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Guest treader.

E+M to become H-U-G-E record store?!?!

Guest treader.

probably a load of shite, but heard that rumour somewhere that virgin were gonna move in there and have a massive selection of everything.

also, if you could, what would you turn it into?

Where did you hear that?!?

My better half worked at E & M so she is having the hassle of finding a new job. From what she has told me the buildings are in a pretty bad state of repair and it would cost anyone moving in a fortune to refurbish and repair.

Steve

'Here endeth the lesson'

Guest DustyDeviada

Seems unlikely to me. Firstly, with the likes of CD-Wow, Amazon etc nowadays I think most record stores will be downsizing rather than expanding into a five story, two block building.

Secondly, and related to what Steve said, apparently the lay out of the shop is unsuitable for modern, 21st century retail. It would need loads spent on it to get into something that modern shops would want to operate out of.

So my guess would be pubs/restaurants on the ground floor, flats above.

I heard recently that either HMV or Virgin were looking to focus alot more on selling music through downloads, creating internet stations in their outlets, don't know how successful that would unless they reduced the prices so much that it would be worth the trip.

They're also looking into hosting more instore gigs. I can't see it being worth Aberdeens while unless the band are already playing Aberdeen that night. Bands surely aren't going to travel 3 hrs north of the next major city to play an instore. And the fact OneUp is more than capable of that already.