aberdeen-music

Are Busted and McFly...

Guest Scott 5FD

Guest tv tanned

But Rico, surely you cannot deny that the reason bands exist is for fame and fortune by and large, nobody ever set up a band to be content with playing piss-soaked clubs and pubs for the rest of their days.

Pop music simply fills a particular niche in the market, and you have to admit that its popularity is down to most of the tunes being catchy as fuck.

Sure it throws up its fair share of shite, but find me a genre that doesn't!!!

ok well how many bands do you see on programmes like totps, cd:uk etc. (and tv in general)

how many major labels and people with money and power support real live music and real UK bands

and how many pop groups and stuff do you see flying up the charts and being splashed all over every paper and magazine - then suddenly there's arena tours... then they're presenting some crappy kids programme...

but anyway

record companies spend money on pop shit because it's easy to market and people lap it up

just like any fashion trend - it comes, it makes it's money, then it leaves

but why

really just...why?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i like pop music - just not mainstream shite, by that i mean that some of my favourite bands play pop style music. Everything in the charts these days is bollocks. Busted and McFly are shite. And what's more, they have the kitsch factor, people who are ALTERNATIVEZ!!!1 seem to think it's wacky and kooky to say LOL!!!!1 I LIKE BUSTED 2, THEY R KOOL!!!!18!!493! to whom i say 'Shut up.'

It's obvious that insular scensters have no idea just how big the music industry is. All you get is "there is no other music except that which I like, so there."

Arrogantly dismissing all other genres except the emo/punk/metal/deathwanking/peripheral/inaccesible/coolandvalid that you happen to have dug up on a white label in a junk shop is narrow minded and insulting to the many, many hard working musicians in the wide, wonderful spectrum of genres from jazz and classical to folk and hip hop. There are all valid froms of expression and they all have their devotees. You don't have to listen to them or even like them, but you have to respect them and their contribution whatever it is. Why? Because you're not qualified to dismiss them as shite.

Of course some of it is manufactured. Of course some of it is trite and obvious. Music is a business and to survive they have to make money and so they will. And if a band or some youngsters want to make money and be famous for a while-so what? Does it hurt you or stop your band paying to play or playing for peanuts in your underground/alternative paradise? Of course it doesn't.

i'd just like it if people appreciated musicians with real talent

i dont care what the music sounds like

people who like pop music bad mouth rock/punk/metal etc.

just like what people in this thread are doing

it works both ways

people always asked me why i liked 'shouty music'... and i'd always get shit for it

did they take the time to listen to it.. no

anyway

the point is

there is no point

i'm tired of arguing about this

aus.

Busted: some catchy tunes, shit at even pretending to play live but i don't think their target audience really notices/cares, not created to change pop music in any way but simply to give the charts a success story for a couple of years and to line a record company's pockets in the process. Bottom line is that they are really only about making money for men in suits and i don't believe they were a proper band prior to being 'created'. But like i said, a few catchy tunes and its not doing any damage to let them have a few hits that are only really played at school discos and when someone puts them on in a pub for a laugh!

McFly: Pish. Busted copy, nuff said.

Originally posted by mickrp:

Busted: some catchy tunes, shit at even pretending to play live

But at least they actually do play live on the TV. Blink182 also played live and they were utterly shite. Busted and McFly are every bit as credible musicians as Spineshank or any other "shouty" music.

It's all elitist wank that is being spouted in this thread. I think Ibid summed it up pretty nicely.

Originally posted by Ibid:

It's obvious that insular scensters have no idea just how big the music industry is. All you get is "there is no other music except that which I like, so there."

Arrogantly dismissing all other genres except the emo/punk/metal/deathwanking/peripheral/inaccesible/coolandvalid that you happen to have dug up on a white label in a junk shop is narrow minded and insulting to the many, many hard working musicians in the wide, wonderful spectrum of genres from jazz and classical to folk and hip hop. There are all valid froms of expression and they all have their devotees. You don't have to listen to them or even like them, but you have to respect them and their contribution whatever it is. Why? Because you're not qualified to dismiss them as shite.

Of course some of it is manufactured. Of course some of it is trite and obvious. Music is a business and to survive they have to make money and so they will. And if a band or some youngsters want to make money and be famous for a while-so what? Does it hurt you or stop your band paying to play or playing for peanuts in your underground/alternative paradise? Of course it doesn't.

This is what I would have liked to have said. But couldn't articulate it.

Rico, why can't people who like pop music like punk/metal/rock etc.

I do.

I do see your point, people who don't bother listening to a genre before mouthing of about it have no reason to. But there will always be people like that and I'm sure the majority of people on this board have done it before.

People do appreciate musicians with real talent, but who is to say what realy talent is anyway?