aberdeen-music

Blasted

EPICURUS

Loudness

I agree it was too loud.

That was only the second time a live band had played through the new rig and we were still learning. We've refined the volume issues at the open mic nights that last 4 Sundays and now have this under control. We've also acquired a dB meter... sometimes it's hard to gauge volume when the sound system is so clear, and the meter helps us to keep the volume to a minimum.

With most PAs volume is accompanied by distortion and we have a natural tendancy to confuse distortion with volume. This system is so clear that you can reach the pain threshold before it becomes apparent that it's VERY loud.

The system can however function at much lower volumes with equal clarity. Our jukebox plays through it day in, day out and it's clear right down to 60db below which the noise from the fridges overpowers it.

Volume is an interesting thing... background noise typically hits 50-60dB and traffic 80dB, conversation is 85dB, a jumbo jet taking of hits 120dB and a pneumatic drill at 1 meter 130dB. Live music is usually in the range of 100-120dB. The pain threshold is 140dB.

The interesting part is that perceived volume doubles with every 3dB increase so we hear something at 120dB as being twice as loud as something at 117dB. This is probably the reason that many meters operate in 3dB increments, although in the case of meters we are measuring down from the maximum output.

Flash

Originally posted by EPICURUS:

sorry but all that means nowt to me - you'll have to speak english

ive heard bands in there before (over the years) and it was never as loud. no need really, sort of puting me off going to your bar when there's bands on now

It means that, "yes it was too loud before", and from now on the sound will be at a much more comfortable level and less painful on your ears and mine!

Re: Loudness

Originally posted by Flash@TMB:

Volume is an interesting thing... background noise typically hits 50-60dB and traffic 80dB, conversation is 85dB, a jumbo jet taking of hits 120dB and a pneumatic drill at 1 meter 130dB. Live music is usually in the range of 100-120dB. The pain threshold is 140dB.

The interesting part is that perceived volume doubles with every 3dB increase so we hear something at 120dB as being twice as loud as something at 117dB. This is probably the reason that many meters operate in 3dB increments, although in the case of meters we are measuring down from the maximum output.

Flash

Perceived volume doubles every 10 dB, or one Bel. That's the definition of a Bel.

What your meters do is measure other things. Also confusingly called dB. Your dB meter measures dBspl, the meters on your digi desk dBFS and the meters on an analogue desk dBv or dBu.

These meters all have one thing in common, a 6 dB rise means that whatever is being measured has doubled.

dBspl which your dB meter measures, is a measure of pressure, NOT PERCEIVED VOLUME.

Edit.I forgot to add, supposedly the 'official' pain threshold is 130 dB.

Re: Re: Loudness

J

Originally posted by soundian:

Perceived volume doubles every 10 dB, or one Bel. That's the definition of a Bel.

Edit.I forgot to add, supposedly the 'official' pain threshold is 130 dB.

Appologies the information I quoted was from the manual... sorry I mean scrap of paper that came with my dB meter. Fuck knows where they got their info from, many sources disagrees over the point where perceived volume doubles, although none seem to agree with whoever wrote that manual. This is the best explanation I can easily find:

http://www.recordingeq.com/magtip/tip/0902decibel.html

So it appears to be somewhere between 6-10dB for most individuals.

Official pain threshold depends on the source and country, but NOBODY agrees on this point... evidently it's somewhere between 110 and 150 dB because there is considerable variation among individuals, and much disagreement as to what constitues the onset of pain. As the rider of a Laverda Jota mine far exceeds most other peoples - but then I've not been to one of your gigs in a while *JOKE* :devil:

Originally posted by EPICURUS:

i was at the AUBL #1 gig and i practically had my ears blasted off - it was painful - way too loud i thought for the size of the place

This Saturday past we ran at approx 1/3rd the volume of the #1 gig and that was plenty loud enough for all but one arseho... err person.