aberdeen-music

Mixer Question

Hog

Hi people, just a quick question. I dont know much about mixers so please dont laugh!

If I use a mixer on an 8 track recorder I can effectivly mike up acoustics drums and have the entire drum stuff just using 1 track therfore leaving me with a full 7 tracks to play with?

Cheers

P.S Ghost, I will pop your cd through your door today:cheers:

Perfecto! Looking forward to it. I've been getting tons of CDs recently...

Re the mixer - if I understand correctly you feed all the mics into the mixer, then link the output to one of the inputs on the 8 track. Downside is that once you've done this you can't pan/adjust the drums anymore without re-recording, upside is that you have 7 tracks free. It's similar to recording 8 drum tracks onto the 8 track, then bouncing down to 1 track, thus freeing up the other 7.

Ah, maybe the bouncing is the way to go, although Im not fussed about panning, Im happy for it go right down the middle.

Its my fault for liking music which has OTT production, I want to have millions of vocal/keyboard tracks thats why the drums have to be on 1 track, it would be so much easier if I was into 3 chord punk lol

Thanks Ghost

If your mixer has groups, the usual way is to route all your drum mics with the required EQ and panning ect to a group or pair of groups so that there's only one or two sliders to deal with then route the group out channel to a channel on your recorder.

Your 8-track may only be able to record up to 4 tracks at once anyway, so check the manuals. If you're not fussed about fiddling with the drum mix or anything once recorded, then stick it all on 1 track. BUT, be aware that the "great" drum sound and mix can sound "not so great" by the time you've added everything else on top, and by that time you can't do much about it!

Mmm, true Rob, its a predicament. I would buy a 12 track but at 300 second hand with a shitty 2gb hardrive I would rather go for my original plan, an 8 track with a 20 gig hardrive. Its for the Element stuff, with a live drums. For my solo project I am using a drum machine....much less hassle!

Originally posted by Ibid:

If your mixer has groups, the usual way is to route all your drum mics with the required EQ and panning ect to a group or pair of groups so that there's only one or two sliders to deal with then route the group out channel to a channel on your recorder.

Cool, thanks Ibid:cheers:

it would work if you did all the levels and panning and stuff on the mixer, then took two outputs to the recorder (for right and left) this would use up and extra track, but give you the option of stereo, and still leave you with quite a few other tracks for other instruments/vocals/whatever

David