aberdeen-music

Lord Of the Rigs

Benji

Has anyone actually read these books?

I read them in Primary School - but it never really clicked untill I seen Minas Tirith the other night on Tv. I was like, no way, I remember trying to picture what it would have looked like. And it all came flooding back to me.

It must have been in the early 80's when I read them. It's freaky how you can read a book and the feeling of it sticks with you, as well as the general mood that the 80's projected as a young child. Now all I want to do is wrap myself up in a duvet and read them again (like bastian off the never-ending story :up: ).

The ending was a bit mixed up and I had to re-read the ending to make sure I was right.

I know it's a bit of a childish kinda trilogy, but there are so many referances to real life it's pretty mad. Around the time of the books being written, the Industrial age was taking shape and I found 'The Two Towers' pretty much summed up the coming of the age of steel. Although I was dissapointed at the lack of Treebeard in the film, and Tom Bombadil, the oldest dude on middle Earth was missed out in the film. Sacrilege.

But overall, the books are something that will never leave me.

Lord of the Rigs - is that the trilogy about the roustabout ?

FWIW I've read LOTR at least 7 times. It's been a couple of years so I'm thinking about starting again.

I used to pride myself in reading the trilogy once every year. Haven't done so this year, I've found it one of those years for publishers where there's been so much else to read.