aberdeen-music

Not sure what to make of this....

Afro Droid

"Ex-GUNS N' ROSES Guitarist STRADLIN To Perform Live With THE NEW YORK DOLLS

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Izzy Stradlin will be standing in for

the deceased Johnny Thunders at THE NEW YORK DOLLS ' gig at London's "Meltdown" festival in June, according to Boston.com . Joining Stradlin and singer David Johansen will be original rhythm guitarist Sylvain Sylvain and bassist Arthur Kane , as well as LIBERTINES drummer Gary Powell (standing in for the late Jerry Nolan )."

Izzy is cool, but the presence of a Libertine could turn the whole into an NME-mock-rock-pissfest. And I can't imaging the years have been kind to David Johansen either.

"You can't put your arms around a memory"....?

David Johansen has aged better than most (musically at least) and he was in Scrooged so he ascended to deity status some time ago. The whole thing will probably be slightly shambolic and strange but hugely enjoyable and fascinating - not unlike the original New York Dolls.

On the down side, without the truly amazing Johnny Thunders the band will be missing a huge presence.

As for a member of The Libertines drumming.....surely Rat Scabies or Terry Chimes et al aren't doing much nowadays?

Holy shit I hope they play Stranded in the Jungle.

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by Skamikazee:

The Libertines aren't that bad, it's just the fact that NME bones them thats annoying.

but would The Libertines have gotten anywhere had the NME not decided to bone them up the arse?

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

but would The Libertines have gotten anywhere had the NME not decided to bone them up the arse?

Nowhere near as far as they have methinks - I've seen them twice and got the album but they're awfully average to have people fawning over them so much non?

At Leeds last year hardly anyone came out to see Cave In who were on two bands before The Libertines yet put on a much more versatile and inspiring set. I don't actively dislike the Libertines but there are bands far more deserving of praise.