aberdeen-music

Kerry's Heroes

Guest DustyDeviada

irak.jpg

This raised a smile.

On a serious note though, interesting stuff going on in the US elections today.

Good luck to the great Kinky Friedman in Texas, although it looks like he's not going to make it.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1612492006

Unless the dreadful spelling on the banner is deliberate, I'm extremely concerned that these bozos are in charge of big shooty-gunnys o_O

In the whole Kerry "botched joke" debacle, did anyone stop to think that what he said was mostly true?

Don't see many PhD students or chess players occupying Baghdad.

AKM

Yep, not to do anyone in the armed forces a disservice as I'm their ranks harbour many, many highly intelligent people. But when it come to what's traditionally referred to as the "poor bloody infantry" the largest proportion of recruits are drawn from the socially and economically deprived sections of the population and therefore tend to have large numbers of those from non-academic backgrounds. This is hardly a new phenomenon - in Vietnam most soldiers were only educated to High School level as college students were exempt from the draft.

As I recall, Kerry himself served in Vietnam and was either a highly decorated hero or a craven coward depending on who you listen to.:up:

But hey, it seems that criticism of the armed forces is un-American these days.

To be contentious for a moment - regardless of your views on the reasons for being in Iraq and Afghanistan - does anyone else notice a slight irony in the recent news story that said the armed forces were struggling to get recruits as too many potential candidates were put off by the prospect of being killed in a war. Ditto serving soldiers complaining about having their lives endangered by being sent to war zones...

<Rant mode on> - isn't that what you're being fucking paid for?! Did you really believe the recruitment adverts that made it look like the army was just a big fucking game? Your business is death! To blatantly steal from Bill Hicks for a second "Excuse me, but aren't you all a bunch of fucking hired killers? Shut up! You are thugs, and when we need you to go blow the fuck out of a nation of little brown people, we'll let you know. Until then "

<rant mode off>

Guest DustyDeviada
Yep, not to do anyone in the armed forces a disservice as I'm their ranks harbour many, many highly intelligent people. But when it come to what's traditionally referred to as the "poor bloody infantry" the largest proportion of recruits are drawn from the socially and economically deprived sections of the population and therefore tend to have large numbers of those from non-academic backgrounds. This is hardly a new phenomenon - in Vietnam most soldiers were only educated to High School level as college students were exempt from the draft.

Yep, as the great Steve Earle sang in Copperhead Road:

"I volunteered for the Army on my birthday

They draft the white trash first,'round here anyway"

and great lyrics on Rich Man's war too:

Jimmy joined the army cause he had no place to go

There aint nobody hirin

round here since all the jobs went

down to Mexico

Reckoned that hed learn himself a trade maybe see the world

Move to the city someday and marry a black haired girl

Somebody somewhere had another plan

Now hes got a rifle in his hand