aberdeen-music

monthly broadband - but which provider? - a conundrum

The Ghost Of Fudge

it's time for fudge to move into the broadband age.

which provider would you say was the best bet for decent service and no screwing about? needs to be monthly (no year long contacts to the same line etc) coz i'll probably be moving flat in the next 6 months or so...

any help much appreciated.

(n.b. tiscalli can fuck right off)

I've been with freeedom2surf for the last 3 years. Never had any problems that were their fault. The one problem I did have they quickly helped contact BT and get them to send an engineer round to fix the fault.

I hear good things about Pipex as well, although avoid Pipex Homecall.

I'd avoid anything offering free broadband or unusually cheap broadband. The customer service is likely to be appalling and expensive to get in touch with.

Guest onlynik

I'd avoid freedom2surf as the have serious issues with certain routers on the PIPEX network. I'd also avoid PIPEX and Nildram, ( all three are the same company) WHat you need to do is work out how much you want to spend. If you don't have connection you will need.

1. ADSL Modem

2. Activation on your line

3. ISP

4. Monthly downloads

Shop around, find who is offering what for free. Most places which off something free , either modem or activation require a 12 month contract, so if you move within 6 months you'll still ahve to pay for that ADSL. The other thing to be aware of is that the BT exchange you will be connecting to is just about full its marked as RED by BT, this means that they may not be able to fulfill your activation (they probably will) but at peak times the download speed will be pitiful slow.

You'll also have to look out for ISP which throttle peer to peer traffic (file sharing) I'm not saying your gonna use this, but its something to bear in mind.

You can check http://www.adslguide.org which will some advice and info in the forums about how many unhappy punters there are for each ISP (people in those forums always bitch)

• 3 months later...

I've had BTbroadband for 2 years no problem, however don't go with the yahoo version as a mate did and is always having problems. Only thing I can say about BT is when you call up for tech support, you don't get someone in this country and it can be hard to understand them, but if you can get past the several "pardon", "pardon"... then its worth it. I'm on 2gig broadband, and its good for online gaming, downloads, etc. We've always paid 25 a month and no contract.

Hope that helps a bit.

take care,

Bobbie

it's time for fudge to move into the broadband age.

which provider would you say was the best bet for decent service and no screwing about? needs to be monthly (no year long contacts to the same line etc) coz i'll probably be moving flat in the next 6 months or so...

any help much appreciated.

(n.b. tiscalli can fuck right off)

• 2 weeks later...