aberdeen-music

drum machine/software advice

dorkusmalorkus

allo, i do a lot of home recording but have recently just got cubase to replace my 4-trackand am now looking to upgrade what i used as a drum machine. my old drum machine is essentially the yamaha 'piece of shit - 91' or something. i was just wondering about drum machine software; is there software out there that has acoustic drum samples that i can use to create a unique drum tracks for songs? what ones are best quality and easy to use? and can i use them with cubase?

i have to admit ive been a bit lazy with researching this properly but it seems to me that drum machine software is mostly longish drum samples, pre-defined licks, so im worried that using that will make all my music sound too repetitave?

if anyone has any advice its very welcome.

Cheers! Davy.

EZDrummer, despite its cheesey name, has a great sound "out of the box", its cheaper than most drum machines, has loads of patterns (although I've found no use for any) and is easy to manipulate (assigning drums to seperate channels etc..useful for replacing the standard set of sounds (of which there aren't much) with sample). The samples are a bit on the processed side, but this means you don't have to waste time trying to mix it all together, fire it up, get some patterns going, and you're off.

interface_big.jpg

The bigger brother of this program is DFH Superior which I haven't seen before but looks like its the darts...I need a new hard drive before I can think of looking into getting it as it's library is about 40 gig...EZ's is only at 1.5 gig....

Sample of it here, although most of this is too high a velocity and sounds fake http://www.ezdrummer.com/mp3demos/Only%20Drums%20EZ%20Demo1.mp3