aberdeen-music

Cafe drummonds, wtf

Rickicaz1279

There isn't really anywhere in Aberdeen as far as I know. Everywhere that might appeal is licensed, like Riley's so there's always the risk of getting kicked out.

Places like the YMCA should be used for this kind of thing, unfortunately 16 and 17 year olds are often more interested in going to proper bars/clubs rather than the underage ones. Part of the fun is being somewhere you're not allowed to be, youth clubs and such only really appeal to the younger end of the crowd which doesn't really solve the problem.

Everything remains the same as far as gigs are concerned but during the day having 50 kids in puts other customers off- customers that buy things.and drummonds makes its money off selling drink and stuff. Thats the reason it has so many cheap gigs!

and its nothing against kids!they would love to be able to have a seperate area for you but two years ago they were turned down with planning permission.

eric says if he is ever in a position to open a juice bar he will haha.

p.s try walking into the moorings and see what happens then.

They'd be sold to Russian saliors to work as sex slaves.

Admission is entirely at the owners discretion. Anyone can be refused. There is no requirement to offer a reason. A bar is private property.

In our experience trade decreases when you admit children, and increases when you cease to admit them. So unless the intent is to offer some sort of social service there is little point in admitting them. And guess what - as soon as they reach 19 they'll start frequenting somewhere cool that isn't full of kids.

And as someone already pointed out, all it takes is for one child to collapse, due to alcohol OR ANYTHING, whether they have ingested it on your premises or not, and the chances are that you will be shut down. So best not let them in just in case they necked 2 bottles of apple sourz on the bus over... Nothing worse than sticky green puke anyway.

Some promoters like to admit kids because it increases their door take and makes the gig appear busier.

There are several reasons why adults object to the presence of children in bars, here is my personal top 3:

1) All kids behave as though they are on speed. They prance about a lot. Getting them to sit at peace is like herding cats.

2) The 14-16 year olds will have a much larger group of mates aged 9,10, & 11 hanging around outside. They'll keep nipping in and out to talk to them, and to show how cool they are being able to cross the threshold of a bar. They'll also try to sneak in the 12 & 13 year olds.

3) There is nothing worse than a kid trying to behave as they imagine a mature adult would behave in a bar. Particularily dreaded is the 'withering look' perfected and administered by 15 year old girls.

I've had this discussion before after refusing a bunch of underagers when I was working in The Tunnels, i think something needs to be done to give kids somewhere to go for a game of pool or whatever. Are there actually any youth clubs or anything about? I havent heard of any, then again I am 23.

I agree with the point that its up to the pub to decide who gets in, but it is a bit shit that there is no alternative around.

I used to go Rileys when i was younger. You can play till 9pm or somethign when you are under 18.

• Upvote 1