aberdeen-music

Designated Driver Scheme

Guest tv tanned

Guest tv tanned

Just an idea.

When I was at uni in Dundee they operated a Designated Driver Scheme, whereby you hand in your car keys at the door and are given five vouchers entitling you to five freee soft drinks during the night.

This could be a good way to attract more folk to Drakes, particularly out of towners who could bring a carload of people with them.

Like I say, just an idea!

Guest tv tanned

Given that they now charge 1.20 for a tin of juice, I'd say my brainchild has as much chance of seeing the light of day as I have of losing weight.

Guest stuartmaxwell

what about starting a taxi company that works with drakes etc where they have a minibus of some sort and cart people back home at the end of the night, which allows em to get pissed too

??

Guest tv tanned

An interesting suggestion, and possibly a good business venture.

Interstingly, my aunt was telling me about a taxi company which exists in Vancouver, where they arrive with two drivers to pick you up. One of them gets out and then drives your car home for you, while you follow, and thus you can go out drinking and don't need to worry about (a) leaving the car overnight or (b) drink driving.

But that idea could be a winner maxi, depending on costs of course!

Originally posted by tv tanned:

sorry to say this but you're all dreaming!!

yes it would be nice to be able to consider the non drinkers and hand out free soft drinks, and be able to make sure all the pissed folk/bands with equipment got home ok....but , ye know, at the moment we're just trying to keep the place alive.....:ding::rolleyes:

Guest stuartmaxwell

aye but i was thinking if someone started a company that takes people back to the outer places, i.e. nothing to do with any venue, stand alone effort

because there are many events in aberdeen (most outwith the music scene), you could operate at least 5 days a week, most of the companies that do it are cunts

Guest tv tanned

well, yes, but I don't think that you need to necessarily pay the people involved, if I read between mr maxwell's lines.

If a dedicated group decided to set up some form of taxi service for punters and bands, and could reasonably cover their costs etc. then it wouldn't necessarily need to be paid for by Drakes. Obviously licensing issues arise, but I'm sure there are ways and means.

We're not foolish enough to assume that Drakes is a multi million pound operation. But look at some of the maths.

If I, a driver, take four people to a gig who would not have normally gone, you get the following:

5 door fees and four people buying drinks, be they alcoholic or soft, for the duration, not leaving early.

All you deduct from this is five soft drinks.

Originally posted by tv tanned:

An interesting suggestion, and possibly a good business venture.

Interstingly, my aunt was telling me about a taxi company which exists in Vancouver, where they arrive with two drivers to pick you up. One of them gets out and then drives your car home for you, while you follow, and thus you can go out drinking and don't need to worry about (a) leaving the car overnight or (b) drink driving.

a few weeks ago I was in Edinburgh and saw a poster for a similar scheme. you phone up and they send someone round on a folding scooter which fits in a car boot. He drives you home in your own car then fucks off on the scooter again.

Originally posted by Chris:

a few weeks ago I was in Edinburgh and saw a poster for a similar scheme. you phone up and they send someone round on a folding scooter which fits in a car boot. He drives you home in your own car then fucks off on the scooter again.

"Motherfucker ... Why didn't you tell me you had a Smart car?"

;)