aberdeen-music

Carling Lineup Announced On Radio One 10.45

Stephen

they're meant to play every year. in my mind anyway. actually no they're not, they've got to play a gig in the barrowlands at least once every year...

but i digress..

last year one of the top bands for me was the headliner in the new bands tent on the last night...Manitoba. i went along on a whim, and what i witnessed was one fine ass swirl of noise created by men in bear masks. and a saxamatone. does it get any cooler? no. for it i missed the yeah yeah yeahs (kind of sad) and metallica (couldn't give a shit), but was well worth it. I might go along purely because sometimes the smaller tent acts are brilliant. 'hope of the states' played just beforehand and what i heard was bloody brilliant.

The problem with reading/leeds, is that although, by the end, the line up is normally ok, the initial acts that are announced don't do justice to the balance of music genre normally offered. The initial bands sell the events out stupidly quickly, and then the bands that I am normally interested in are announced.

the darkness were alright with their tea-time slot last year. but that they're now headlining is bollocks. they'll probably release a new album before/just after the festivals. meaning that they can do oldies and new songs...or air new material...possibly a cover version and there's your time slot filled, but i don't think they're a headline band. less so than the white stripes, who i feel would be better suited to headlining one of the tents or having a mid-afternoon slot on mainstage. but that's just my two cents.