aberdeen-music

Logic Express Drum help.

Runcie

Hello. I'm having a little trouble writting drum parts into Logic Express. I can't get the drum map to show the full range of percussion instruments available, just like a cowbell here and and there. I used Cubase back in my school days and the drum map on it was great. Is there any way of getting a simple drum map to play a standard drum kit through Logic Express. I dont have a midi keyboard or anything attatched so it might be something to do with that. Please help!

I was really if there was a way to use the built in mac soundcard to make the sounds of a standard drum kit using an easy to read drum map like the cubase one. I used Cubase SL in school and it was much easier to get my head round than with logic. I also downloaded Live 5 as you recommended and I'm not having much luck with it either. Thanks for the help though.

dont really know what you mean by a "simple" drum map...are you using logics matrix edit window?

logic express has exsp24 (sample player) which should have gm sounds...load one of these up (audio instrument...i/o...stereo instruments...exsp24) and load a gm drum kit. then create a new object in the arrange window on this channel and double click on it. this should load up the matrix edit (if it doesnt highlight the object and go window...matrix) then draw your pattern in here. i have always found that to be a fairly straightforward way of doing it. sorry if thats too basic for you/you have tried all that already.

iain

Thanks or your help, I just hadn't put the plugin into the enironment window. So i can actually hear the drum sounds now, but is there any way of the matrix edit window showing the name of the percussion instruments being triggered instead of just just the midi note names. Cheers.

Have a look under 'drum map' in the online help.

Basically you create an environment object inthe midi layer and assign the names within this.

MAke it part of your autoload and it will always be available to you.

If you want to use the Mac inbuild sounds (as opposed to Logics) you need to set up the Quicktime midi object. I can't remember off the top of my head how to do this as I don't really rate the sounds that much so never use it... have a look in Audio/Midi control panel.

As suggested EXSP24 is probably the way forward for you - there should be some example kits bundled with it.

I know this probably doesn't help, but Logic Pro includes Ultrabeat which is probably exactly what you need as you create the patterns within the Ultrabeat window Roland beatbox style.