aberdeen-music

Home Recording + Sound Card Advice

Jeid

Evening all, I'm really really wanting to get into home recording and I'm on the hunt for something reasonably priced to help me along. Ideally I'd really like to try out Pro Tools LE or M-Powered(whatever the difference is I dunno) I have Pro Tools 6.8 downloaded but I'm not sure how well it'll work.

If not, I'm willing to give Cubase LE a bash(if I can find it anywhere)

So, I'm looking for a bit of hardware to make things sound nice when recording.

My current PC spec is AMD 64bit 2.3ghz CPU, 1 Gig Ram, Creative Audigy Platinum Sound Card, 120gb hard drive.

I'm looking to spend £150 max on an external sound card. Been looking at the Presonus Inspire which Hog bought and also a couple of M-Audio's models... most notably the Fast Track Pro(which can be had for £147 from fleabay) and looks like this

fasttrackprooverviewbig.jpg

Or the Firewire Solo...(around £120... in price comparison, the Pro kinda wins I think?)

maudio_fw_solo.jpg

Can anyone give me reasons to buy/not buy any of these bits of hardware? Or recommend me something else thats in my price range. Anyone know if these last two bits of kit will work with Pro Tools 6.8?

Any sort of input would be most welcome, I'm just looking to get started and then figure the rest out myself.... hopefully :D

Much thanks

EDIT: Shit... should of said.... I'm mostly gonna be using my setup to record vocals, guitar and bass. I'll be using Reason Drums to do my beats.

Guest lime ruined my life
Could you expand on that a little for me please.... I'm a bit dumb :D

I know the bit of hardware you're on about' date=' just I dunno what the advantages/disadvantages are?[/quote']

good: its external usb, cheaper, does midi, and has mic pre amps and phantom power, low latency, it does 24 bit/96khz recording and supposedly has good a-d/d-a convertors.

Are either of these ProTools compatible?

as far as i know protools is just normal daw that hasnt been designed exclusivley to work with only some hardware.

Any of these will take audio in to your pc and act as a sound card, you just need to select it to work as the main soundcard in your settings.

as far as i know protools is just normal daw that hasnt been designed exclusivley to work with only some hardware.

Any of these will take audio in to your pc and act as a sound card' date=' you just need to select it to work as the main soundcard in your settings.[/quote']

As far as I was aware, I thought only m-powered stuff was compatible too.

Thanks for the enlightenment, although, I'm really looking at the M-Audio stuff now anyway. Will it work with Cubase ok?

Care to elaborate?

i got it wrong regarding pro tools. I thought what was being said was that the device would only work with protools' date=' but if i have it right now, what was being said was the opposite, that specific protools editions will only work with set devices.

As far as I was aware, I thought only m-powered stuff was compatible too.

Thanks for the enlightenment, although, I'm really looking at the M-Audio stuff now anyway. Will it work with Cubase ok?

yes. It'l work with pretty much anything. Although, bare in mind if you plan to use a "cracked" version of cubase, then thing's will be very unstable.

have a look here: http://www.nusystems.co.uk/category/USB.Sound.Cards/170/

obviously for recording the higher the recording resolution is the better, so go for 24 bit 96khz stuff, some usb stuff won't go above 48khz.

I got it from eBay... erm, comes with...

The omnistudio comes bundled with a Reason Adapted and Ableton Live Delta cd, alongside to the driver cd. Quick guide also provided in original box as shown on picture.

not much by the looks of things. I'm sure I have Cubase sitting around somewhere...