aberdeen-music

Ariel Pink (paw tracks) BELONG (car park) - Sun 10th June 06

chilli

ive checked his myspace sounds' date=' excellent stuff[/quote']

before we retire for a well earned summer break, we have two quite extraordinary shows

even by our own high standards they are going to be fantastic.

we are very excited about these shows........., check out the mp's widely available.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry here is the full listing & you get not one but two star artists from the

2006 SXSW Festival for your money.................

Preview in tonights (Thurs) Evening Express.

Sun 11th June 06

The Tunnels

Doors 8pm

Tickets on sale now at 1UP, Belomont Street, priced 7 + booking fee

or

ON THE DOOR ON THE NIGHT.

(Entrance, at least 1cheaper than the same show in Edin/Glas)

Ariel Pink (paw tracks)

Belong (car park)

Gareth Dickson (Fat Cat)

Ariel Pink (paw tracks)

Is Animal Collective Label's best signing. A pop maverick who mixes The Beach Boys sound into a tumble dryer. The alternative pop-rock and lo-fi recordings of Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti are full of intrigue, and full of contradictions. Pink, a male singer, composer, musician and producer who is based in Los Angeles, provides songs that are melodic, catchy and familiar; songs that, in their own unorthodox way, recall the most immediate, accessible, straight-forward FM pop-rock of the '70s and '80s. But Pink's work also comes across as bizarre, trippy, skewed and twisted; and a lot of that strangeness comes from his production style. As a songwriter, Pink has a real sense of pop-rock craftsmanship, but his very muddy way of producing and his oddball, kooky sound effects make the recordings of Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti (which is really the name of a project, not an actual group) sound highly eccentric.

http://www.angelfire.com/la3/zanna/index.html

http://www.paw-tracks.com/artists.htm

http://www.arielpink.com/

http://www.myspace.com/arielpink

"Worn Copy" gets...

19 in top 50 of 2005 - Uncut

36 in top 100 of 2005 - The Observer

top 50 of 2005 - The Wire

"manages to sound simultaneously like the second coming of Prince or Frank Zappa"*- The Guardian

Last Friday's Guardian (a full page write-up)

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/...787702,00.html

Belong (Car Park Records)

Born in the dense heat of New Orleans, Louisiana, Belong is a collaborative effort between Turk Dietrich and Michael Jones. Following in the tradition of bands like My Bloody Valentine and Gas, guitars, synths and other musical sources are wrenched from their typical tones, revealing themselves in bright shards of distortion. Melodies are similarly enveloped in a sort of aural atrophy, forever repeating their blurring calls. At the end, all that remains is a noise so potent it leaves the sonic equivalent of the sun's imprint on a retina. Turk Dietrich has previously collaborated with Telefon Tel Aviv's Joshua Eustis under the name Benelli, whose remix of Nine Inch Nails' "The Frail (version)" is found on the acclaimed NIN EP Things Falling Apart.

Accompanied with outstanding VISUALS

http://www.carparkrecords.com

Gareth Dickson (Fat Cat)

makes a welcome return to The Tunnels after slumming it @ The Barbican in London, ATP Festival Camber Sands & a host of of summer festivals with his leading lady Vasti Bunyan. Gareth's guitar playing is unlike anything else you are likely to hear & he takes his cue from leading Electronic artists like Eno & The Aphex Twin & seminal artists like Nick Drake.

Weve said it before, this guy is special, Vashti Bunyan knows it, do you........

http://www.myspace.com/garethdickson

I'm told this is on Sunday evening. Did anyone else realise this?

oh yes we did

this is a review of Belong's performance @ SXSW 2006 by PITCHFORK

I've been listening to New Orleans' doomy ambient duo Belong for months: Their debut album' date=' October Language, is beautifully drony, drawing equally from Fennesz, Tim Hecker, and William Basinski's apolcalyptic Disintegration Loops. These kinds of things almost never translate live; the performers rarely perform, content to stand idly in the dark, staring into the blue glow of Powerbook screens. Belong wisely employed the traditional ambient-band live-show distraction-- a film screen cycling through moody, nostalgic 8mm loops-- while grinding on guitars and manipulating pedals and noiseboxes. This setup is nothing new, but it all came together spectacularly well for Belong, due to the unusually gripping film work (bizarre animations and obscure rock band footage, instead of the usual desolate landscapes) and their music's gritty edge.

[url']http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/live/festivals/sxsw06/

quick question - do we need to buy advance tickets or will there be available on the door?

plenty tickets have been retained for the door, so there will not be a problem getting in

so if you can pass the word to your pals, as this line-up is deserving of a great turn out

:up: :up: :up:

so i don't mean to try and rub in how shit ariel pink was tonight, but a quick question: why were there tables set out on the floor, all but killing any chance for a dance tonight? it just seemed a very odd decision, and it sort of killed the atmosphere of the main act before it had even started.

i did enjoy both belong and gareth dickson though. arrived towards the end of the latter's set, it's maybe not the sort of music i would buy, but what he played was very delicate, and very precious, a bit like a one-man guitar equivilant of lullatone i guess, with how gentle and precise all the plucks were. belong fucked with my ears, and i really enjoyed them.

Gareth Dickson and Belong were both very enjoyable. I'd have to say that Ariel Pink was one of the stranger performances I've ever seen. It was, as has already been pointed out, what many would conventionally describe as 'shit'. But still, it was kind of punk in a strange sort of way. The bloke clearly doesn't think much of his audience - almost Mark E Smith like. Without actually being as good obviously. Still, I reckon that but for his arsing about trying to sort out the monitors, I was mostly entertained by what little he and his entourage played.

You would have danced to Ariel Pink?! Wow!

i probably would've tried' date=' and looked like a prat.

even if not, the layout discouraged people from standing close to the stage, and did set the tone for a sit-down dinner-type performance. i imagine pink would've been more inclined to actually perform a bit (if you watch the footage of some of the other shows on this tour, he's bouncing around all over the place, where as last night he barely even faced the audience) if there'd at least been people standing by the stage nodding their heads a bit.

Gareth Dickson and Belong were both very enjoyable. I'd have to say that Ariel Pink was one of the stranger performances I've ever seen. It was, as has already been pointed out, what many would conventionally describe as 'shit'. But still, it was kind of punk in a strange sort of way. The bloke clearly doesn't think much of his audience - almost Mark E Smith like. Without actually being as good obviously. Still, I reckon that but for his arsing about trying to sort out the monitors, I was mostly entertained by what little he and his entourage played.

i've always heard the same thing about the fall's shows as pink's; that some shows will be like tunnels last night, and some shows you'll get something truly special. the thing is, people are playing money to see the guy, and even if he's not getting the reaction he wants, he should have the balls to play through that for the people that were enjoying the show, and not piss off after five songs because he wanted a cigarette. i did really like what he played though, especially 'grey sunset'.

Gareth Dickson and Belong were both very enjoyable. I'd have to say that Ariel Pink was one of the stranger performances I've ever seen. It was' date=' as has already been pointed out, what many would conventionally describe as 'shit'. But still, it was kind of punk in a strange sort of way. The bloke clearly doesn't think much of his audience - almost Mark E Smith like. Without actually being as good obviously. Still, I reckon that but for his arsing about trying to sort out the monitors, I was mostly entertained by what little he and his entourage played.[/quote']

Gareth Dickson & Belong were better than enjoyable, they were excellent. As is normal for an Ariel Pink event, he courts controversy, however there is definate genius mixed in with the more eccentric antics & anybody that asks an audience up on the stage at the beginning of their set gets my vote. Shame the dancing Tom Lea didn't get up on stage & give us an impromptu solo with the

female back up singers. I thought the tables & chairs were better in place than not having them, although maybe they could have been cleared back a bit before Ariel Pink took to the stage.

Anyhow well done for getting these artists to Aberdeen

i did really like what he played though' date=' especially 'grey sunset'.[/quote']

But didn't you think he was shit? I'm confused.

I think it's good fun when bands split the audience reaction but I just thought Ariel's attempts to be disliked were a bit willful.

I had that uncomfortable Lone Pigeon at Dr Drakes feeling a little.

Shame the dancing Tom Lea didn't get up on stage & give us an impromptu solo with the female back up singers. I thought the tables & chairs were better in place than not having them' date=' although maybe they could have been cleared back a bit before Ariel Pink took to the stage.[/quote']

i wouldn't have wanted to show them up. ;)

i agree that clearing the tables would've been the best option; they worked for dickson and belong, and the physical act of moving them back would've encouraged people to stand at the front for ariel pink.

But didn't you think he was shit? I'm confused.

i'm a fan of his music, and i enjoyed what he played; even done half-heartedly like last night. however, when a headlining act, who people have paid money to see, runs through through five short songs, moans about his monitor for a while and then pisses off for a cigarette, that qualifies as a pretty shit performance to me.

Anyhow well done for getting these artists to Aberdeen

seconded; i appreciate the effort that went into planning this night.