aberdeen-music

Other than Ebay...

Guest DustyDeviada
I'm quite terrified of some of those pirices! Anyone know what the mexican mustangs are like? I've not been impressed with many mexican fenders that I've played...

I went to see Mark Knopfler play some charity gigs at Shepherd's Bush Empire in 2002' date=' and he played Mexican strats which were auctioned off after the show. Nobody in the audience would have known the difference between them and a vintage strat.

Here's a pic:

[img']http://misheli.image.pbase.com/u13/javierote/upload/3399103.MVC857F.JPG

My point is this - Mark Knopfler is one of the most successful guitarists ever, he can play any guitar in the world, but he has played Mexican strats, so that says something about them to me.

To be honest, why do you want a Mustang?

I personally thought they were pretty awful guitars. I had one once upon a time and I played it a few times and then sold it on.

Mex guitars are in my opinion, greater than some of the USA models that Fender are currently producing. Certainly, from the factory, MIM Fenders play better than their MIA counterparts!

Guest DustyDeviada
Mex guitars are in my opinion' date=' greater than some of the USA models that Fender are currently producing. Certainly, from the factory, MIM Fenders play better than their MIA counterparts![/quote']

I think that's a pretty bold statement to make, and a fairly sweeping generalisation. I've never heard anyone say anything about the quality of the MIA setups.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
How's it sound' date=' I've read that the pickups are pretty weak, any problems with the bridge?[/quote']

Well, it sounds grungey, what a surprise... I like the sound, reminded me on a first impression of yo la tengo. the bridge looks a bit bum, I'm going to have to lock the vibrato as it is utter shit. once dip with the arm and it's out of tune.

My point is this - Mark Knopfler is one of the most successful guitarists ever, he can play any guitar in the world, but he has played Mexican strats, so that says something about them to me.

Kincorth loon Billy Bremner (Rockpile, The Pretenders, Kirsty McColl etc) was in town last July and played a few songs with us.

His guitar?

A Squier Tele, modded with the three brass saddles and upgraded pick-ups. It sounds fantastic. BB's talent, of course, would also be influential.

I have a Mexican Nashville Tele. It's wonderful. Through a Peavey Classic 30 I can sound like Steve Cropper or James Burton (with much less talent, obviously). The best thing is that my mate imported it without paying the tax (naughty) but didn't take to it and sold it to me for300. It's worth at least 550. Result!

All it needs is a mod to put a push-pull switch, possibly on the tone control, to knock out the extra middle pick up when needed, to get the authetic Tele twang and squeal. I'm working on it. 8)