aberdeen-music

Yet Another Computer Help Thread

Camie

For some reason my cd drive is fucked. It cannot be found on my computer and no program can play cds or dvds on it.

I check the device manager and there was a big ! beside "LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S"

It said on trouble shoot to uninstall and re install it but that didn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

could be a hardware conflict.

have you changed your hardware setup in any way? i.e. added another cd/dvd drive? added a new hard drive?

have you installed anything noteworthy around the same time that the cd drive started not working?

try putting a data cd in the drive. if after a few seconds it spins up and sounds normal (spins for about a minute or so), doesn't clunk, or speed up-slow down-speed up-slow down repeatedly, then mostly like you have a software problem, not a hardware problem.

have you installed any other hardware, like webcams, ipods, scanners, printers, etc?

does it work in safe mode?

is audiograbber a cd-ripping program? is it possible it has a program running in the background or in the system tray that is disabling access to the cdrom?

It is a cd- rippng program.

How would I sort this?

I can't start the computer in safe mode as I am over at uni now.

Hehe oh dear Camie....I've never had any problem with the audio ripper program in about 8 years of using it :D It's the obvious thing to try uninstalling, restarting then having another look. It doesn't start at startup or hold any resources when it's not working so it doesn't make any sense, but its the obvious choice just now. Got any system restore points prior to installing it? Not that I have any faith in XP's system restore....you never know, PC's are temporamental, you could get home and find it working! Keep us posted once you've uninstalled the software...