aberdeen-music

Rehearsal Rooms with Hammond/Rhodes?

Stray Cat

At the risk of sounding like an asshole....don't be stupid.

Personally, Native Instruments B4 and Elektrik Piano have made it possible to practice with a similar sound via your computer and a MIDI controller. Of course, the B4 software out a PC and through a PA is not gonna have the sound of a rotating leslie in a great sounding room, but beggars can't be choosers......

I see where your coming from and if I had a laptop that I could carry around then I would try B4 as well as Elektrik Piano, M-Tron and all the other midi soft synths that I have. But I don't have a laptop so I was wondering where would have the real deal available for use. I know that the rooms under Atmosphere have a hammond but I haven't had the oppurtunity to ask if it's for hire.

There's no problem when it comes to playing live because we have a Hammond L100 and a Leslie cab but it would be a pain in the ass bringing that along to practise.

Didn't know musical vision have a hammond? Might be worth a look!! I think Fluxus possibly had an old organ with a leslie but I can't remember what it was....they're not around anymore though :(

The problem with this sort of gear is that, as its old stuff now, I'd imagine the cost of maintaining them doesn't make the prospects of having them continually thrashed every day very appealing to the local studios.....perhaps a niche here which a studio could use to their advantage.

I ain't big of keyboards and stuff but I love the sound of hammonds and I love the sound of Rhodes pianos (especially when driven hard) so let us know if you find a place ;)

My advice though....sell the beast and buy a laptop ;) I'm a technofreak though...apparently

It isn't actually me who plays the keys and the guy who does feels that compared to the real thing, that midi has a feel of "timelessness" (his words not mine). He has an Oberheim midi controller which he usually uses for the Rhodes sound and I agree wih him that something is not quite right. Personally, I can sit at home all day messing with B4 and the rest but at the end of the day it's down to personal preference.

Hehe....yeah I know what you mean. I've never played the real thing and always hated playing a real piano so MIDI keyboards and VST's have really opened my ears to making music in ways I otherwise wouldn't....

But yeah, I can't really play piano...I play guitar and I like my sound through a cranked Marshall 100w valve head and 4 x 12 cab blasting out as loud as possible....if someone on the internet tried to tell me to sell my amp and get a POD theres no way in hell I'd trade in the real thing...despite being able to play the pod anywhere and being able to chuck it in my ruck sack as opposed to needing someone with a van to lug my stack around.

Just heard 3 songs with Rhodes on radio 2 in the past 10 minutes....definitely a sound thats coming back!

The problem with this sort of gear is that' date=' as its old stuff now, I'd imagine the cost of maintaining them doesn't make the prospects of having them continually thrashed every day very appealing to the local studios[/quote']

In would beg to differ! We have a 1959 Hammond A100 with Leslie 145 and both are in perfect working order and all that has ever happened to them is that the Hammond gets oil every six months. They get used nearly every day.

The Hammond really rocks and no sample of this planet could ever copy that sound.

But as for the Rhodes 70 and 80 and Wurly 200A, if you are using a synth or sample package, try feeding that sound to the Leslie on the L100 (there's an external input either on the inside of the Hammond, or on the ourtside of the Leslie if it is a later model. Also, some people had the internal feed for otheer instruments on the Hammond mounted on the outside, either at the back or under the keys. You can also feed the sample or synth to a guitar head and mic up the cab, if you want a more static sound.