aberdeen-music

Noise Pollution's Debut EP

scottST

We've finally got our first EP out, titled "There's a good reason for this....really...". I'm going to try and get it into OneUp this week sometime, and it'll be available from our gig in Drummonds on the 15th.

It will cost 2, and if bought from a gig, will be available with a free badge!!

Only four tracks, they are

1.Something

2.You or Them

3.Destructive Obsession

4.Rock and/or Roll

On the HUBL, the track Something is available for download.

On our website, there are 30 second clips of each of our songs.

Download our song from HUBL, tell us what you all think!

If not, try and come to our gig at drummonds...it should be a good laugh, whatever happens..

Cheers

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Neubeatz

I'm having a listen to "Something", d/loaded from hubl, I like this catchy little pop/rock/fun track , the only criticism that I would apply is the tagging of the file, now that is on my hd, if I use it in a compilation then I'll have to look for "Artist" Track 1,

A small point, but important,

great track though!!!

yeah i noticed that.....thats the guy at HUBL's problem, he has a copy of our cd, he just took them straight off the cd......not me!! lol...

im glad you all like the cd/songs.....our next gigs on Sat 1st May, with Black Atom at Dr Drakes.........come along if you want!

and if you go, Ian, i'll give you a badge!

as for you Danny.....im still waiting for ma free copy of the Soul Doubt EP.....or i want ma 2!!! bastard!!! lol.......

Lofimusic Review Station... erm... review.

There's A Good Reason For This... Really - Noise Pollution

www.noisepollutiononline.co.uk

I picked up this four track EP after listening to 'You or Them' for a review swap. It's professionally packaged (I felt for the poor guitar) and nicely priced at 2, however you have to buy the CD from them at a gig to get the pin badge. On the basis of this CD, I recommend catching one of their live shows.

Sound wise, the band are no more than a few steps left of pub rock standard fare, a blend of mid 90s influence and the hook of a 'Best Rock Riffs in the world ever!' compilation - however, all songs on this EP are original and the majority are suited to driving long straight roads or alcohol-fuelled dancefloor stomps - in short, once you've exhausted all 'spot the riff' opportunities you're still left with a very listenable CD.

'Something' seems to be a song about judging folk by their appearances or about the first day in a new town/job. The chorus is rather catchy with 'do their smiles conceal something too?' echoing in your head long after the CD has stopped spinning. I could hear this on some angsty teen film soundtrack, probably in an upbeat high-five celebratory scene, and although originally I thought it weaker than 'You or Them' (and therefore a strange choice to open the EP), it's grown on me considerably.

'You or Them' certainly has teeth, I love the guitar and bass interplay in this song. Lyrical theme seems to be very similar: 'painted masks on, hidden expressions' suggesting mistaken belief in someone's morals - although this song seems to be written from the point of view of someone looking back at an incident whereas 'Something' seems more paranoid and an anticipation of things to come. The more I convince myself that this is the case, the more I agree with the logical ordering of these songs. I'm probably way off track, but I'll sleep easy tonight.

'Destructive Obsession' just isn't my cup of tea I'm afraid and I'm beginning to realise it's all down to a god-awful CD I bought in the mid-90s: L7's 'Bricks Are Heavy' to be precise. That waste of aluminium foil was a combination of punchless riffs, monotonous vocal delivery and fourth rate lyrical content, and unfortunately this track can pretty much be slotted in the same pigeon hole. Deja vu with the theme - again a warning to listeners not to judge character by looks alone, but this time from the point of view of someone wanting to fit in. It does at least attempt to show balls with a nice crunchy solo, but is left far behind by either of the previous tracks.

Last track 'Rock and/or Roll' is perfectly suited to a live set, with a return to the strong instrumentation. It's one of these songs which isn't interested in sending a sincere message to listeners, it just wants to get folk out of their seats. I really like the 'lets rock!' hook in the chorus, my left hand struggling in an attempt to form the devil sign (almost, I caught myself in time!). One gripe about this track is the galloping double drumming in the chorus which sounds like someone slapping a pen on a plastic folder, but yes a nice end to the CD and a definite foot tapper.

Overall, it's hard not to recommend this (especially at the price), but skip track 3 to prolong enjoyment. Hopefully we'll hear more from this band.