aberdeen-music

who was that band at Dr.Drakes

bodhisattva

yep

Hi, I just find it funny thats all. It makes me laugh when a band is refrrered to as the band of each person. i.e Gareth's band, Mike's band, Toby's band, Steven's band! I suppose it's just one of those things. Whoever you know in the band it becomes their band and not a collective.

Thanks for the feedback though. Its good to hear what other people think be it good or bad.

Re: yep

Originally posted by tobyb:

Hi, I just find it funny thats all. It makes me laugh when a band is refrrered to as the band of each person. i.e Gareth's band, Mike's band, Toby's band, Steven's band! I suppose it's just one of those things. Whoever you know in the band it becomes their band and not a collective.

Thanks for the feedback though. Its good to hear what other people think be it good or bad.

I would probably call them that too, as Steven is the only one I know, and probably most other people would be the same due to the acoustic gigs he is known for, that's all. Which one were you then?

I thought they were great. Started out a little uncomfortably somehow, didn't seem to quite gel to start with. Not sure why, maybe the bass was meandering about the fretboard a bit too much for those particular songs, dunno. But the middle bit of the set when Steven sat at the keyboards seemed to lift the whole gig somewhere new. Quite summery, almost Californian sixties kind of stuff, but without sounding old-fashioned. Then back on the geetar the end of the set was notched up once again, songs in the same vein but a bit rockier. I'm presuming Steven writes some or all of the songs, but he really does seem to have a knack for flowing chord sequences that are never predictable, but always spot on. Chords that are not always what you'd expect, but once you hear where they take the melody couldn't be anything else.

So a set of three thirds really, but I would say Toby's band were fantastic...

Yes it is down to who you know, but also most bands are NOT democracies...whatever band members would like to think.

Usually the main songwriter is the person who has a final veto musically and is therefore the 'leader' whether they like being that or not!

Also, unless they're feeling generous and decide to split things equally, its the songwriter(s) who recieves all the royalties from publishing, record sales or PRS fees.

The music business is full of players who end up going to court and usually losing, in order to get a share of royalties for their contribution to a 'collective' years after a band has split.

I'm sure this seems like pie in the sky at the moment but I thought it worth mentioning.