aberdeen-music

time shift - art school

Stripey

Anyone see this last night on BBC4? It was a pretty fascinating insight into artschools in the 60's and the people and consequent culture that came out of it all.

Oh yeah I should point out, I posted this in All Music Discussion because it talks a lot about musicians and has interviews with brian eno etc, they talk about how pete townsend was getting interested in the work of an artist exploring ideas of deconstruction, and how it inspired him, which was quite amusing.

Anyone see this last night on BBC4? It was a pretty fascinating insight into artschools in the 60's and the people and consequent culture that came out of it all.

Oh yeah I should point out' date=' I posted this in All Music Discussion because it talks a lot about musicians and has interviews with brian eno etc, they talk about how pete townsend was getting interested in the work of an artist exploring ideas of deconstruction, and how it inspired him, which was quite amusing.[/quote']

Saw it a while back. Rather enjoyed it and got dissapointed that arts schools just aren't what they should be/could be... anymore

J

the problem with art schools today in my experience is not so much the schools. more that the people attending the schools tend to view them as a version of university, somewhere you go to get a degree/qualification that will help you climb further up the ranks of employment. it's a real shame people don't just go there looking to expand their horizons and grow creatively as previous generations have.

the problem with art schools today in my experience is not so much the schools. more that the people attending the schools tend to view them as a version of university' date=' somewhere you go to get a degree/qualification that will help you climb further up the ranks of employment. it's a real shame people don't just go there looking to expand their horizons and grow creatively as previous generations have.[/quote']

It is possible to do one and not lose sight of the other. We do, for better or worse, live in different times from the heady days of 'art school exuberance and exploration' and each artistic period has had its pioneers that react to their given social climate, consciously or subconsciously. Today the colourful characters are just a little less colourful but not neccessarily any less creative...

If you go into a degree in art with a clear and understood vision of what you want to do then you 'may' end up very dissapointed and confused, but have a fucking great deal of fun along the way...

J

the problem with art schools today in my experience is not so much the schools. more that the people attending the schools tend to view them as a version of university' date=' somewhere you go to get a degree/qualification that will help you climb further up the ranks of employment. it's a real shame people don't just go there looking to expand their horizons and grow creatively as previous generations have.[/quote']

I completely agree, I think there is an attitude now that the only purpose of education is to produce people who can work in some industry, that was certainly my experience in secondary school/college/university, all of which I found completely dissapointing.

I don't think 21st century britain values art anymore, I think it's been completely subverted by consumerism to the extent that a lot of people born in the 80's and beyond are simply unable to appreciate anything that isn't branded, marketed or endorsed. It really pisses me off.