aberdeen-music

Advice required from surfers (water that is, not internet)

Lemonade

If there are any surfers out there...

I used to surf a little bit when I was younger but never really knew what I was doing, now I'm thinking of taking it up again seriously this time and could use a little advice, ie: what kind of board I should buy. I am told as a beginner I should be looking at something over 7' long, and something wide for manouverabilty, and thick for durability. Is it easier to learn on a longboard than a shortboard? If I buy a light, thin fiberglass board am I going to ding the fuck out of it with my clumsy beginner style?

Any advice would be very welcome.

You at uni? Aberdeen Uni have a surf club which is pretty good for beginners, you'l have so much fun!

Don't knwo too much about surfing, but NSP's are pretty good for beginners, some people say Bics as well are pretty good.

If I were you, I'd go down to Granite Reef, they were really helpful whe I got my board, they sell NSP's, yeah you'd be better for one over 7, the shorter they are the harder.

Long boards are easier to get up on and stuff, a short board would be pretty impossible for a beginner, thats what all the good people use.

The better you get a surfing the smaller board you'd want, you can hire out boards and suits all for around 30 from Granite reef if you wanted to try it out first, the boards they lend are great for getting started, when you buy one you dont want to get one thats too long as you can only improve so much on it.

But I'd say get your ass down to Granite Reef, even if your just asking for advice, they're really helpful.

Waves shall be getting good soon :D

Oh yeah, buy yourself a hood and watch out for the seals ;)