aberdeen-music

24 hour drinking laws

Rob van Hitler

i wouldnt worry about the ban.speaking to a barmaid last week she explained many loop holes' date='like if a room has two open doors that are kept open it can be a smoking room, it might require a lot of sectioning off in pubs though.its not going to be completely non smoking everywhere.at least it better not be.[/quote']

yeah thats what they've done in the republic of ireland, most pubs have turned the back yard into a smoking area.

as for 24 hour drinking, why not? in time i think it should help reduce binge drinking as people wont be wolfing down liquor before last orders. we're not going to change our habits and culture overnight mind but the scare tactic quotes that i've been reading in the media are nothing short of absurd.

Guest MerryChristmas
I'm not keen on banning drinks promotions actually - simply because of the simple reason that if people drink at home and get fucked' date=' it could actually be more dangerous in the long run.

Bar staff should be educated and not sell ridiculous drinks to people - for example, I was in the priory the other night, 2 for 1 drinks..so naturally a conversation started with me and my friends over who could down the most in one go (as it was so cheap) - so the 'bar' was set at a quadruple vodka and coke in a normal glass. And yes, they served us that - okay, the guy in question can drink vodka all night and has an iron stomach and wasn't affected by it, but surely the point is that the bar shouldn't have sold that drink in the first place?

Unfortunately, I doubt the bar staff will care less as long as they're paid minimum wage or just above it.[/quote']

It is up to the customers to decide how much and what they drink within reason thereafter it becomes the manager, doorstaff and barstaff's decision as to when you have had enough. They are in it to make money not make sure you drink sensibly. Did they know you were going to do it? Have you ever worked behind a bar?

So what you're saying is that any kid that drinks underage (and we're even talking a seventeen year old a few months away from their birthday here) isn't decent and will turn into a complete fucking idiot?

Why do people who misrepresent what other people have posted always start their argument with the words "So what you're saying is..."?

No, that's not what he's saying, that's what you're saying.

Guest MerryChristmas
Why do people who misrepresent what other people have posted always start their argument with the words "So what you're saying is..."?

No' date=' that's not what he's saying, that's what you're saying.[/quote']

So what you're saying is that he is wrong to say that.

I quite agree he has misinterpreted what the original post was saying

So what you're saying is that any kid that drinks underage (and we're even talking a seventeen year old a few months away from their birthday here) isn't decent and will turn into a complete fucking idiot? Steady on pal. And as an afterthought' date=' I can't understand the desire NOT to drink underage, and I'm 20.

I'd nearly go as far as to say that in today's society, any kid that doesn't want to drink until they're 18 because 'they think it's wrong' is, quite frankly, a bit weird. Come on, I'd love to see a poll on how many people admittedly drank underage and went out to bars and clubs. I've said it on other threads and I'll say it again; it's part of growing up. Most kids underage want to go out and drink, and it's always going to happen, and as long as you don't act the dick in bars and clubs, I've no problem with it.

Mike[/quote']

I'm not saying that at all. I'm referring to the brainless fools in my year who hung around the school buildings all night swigging a few tinnies because they thought it was cool to do so.

Well I suppose I'm very much weird then for realising the harm that alcohol can do to your body at a young age.