aberdeen-music

Hunter S. Thompson goes out with a bang...

huntedbyafreak

Guest bluesxman
Well i think he was a low life' date=' drug addled scumbag.

And his books were shit. All of them even down and out in las vegas an all that innit?[/quote']

That'll be Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas then. How many of his books did you actually read?

That'll be Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas then. How many of his books did you actually read?

(RE:dino)

hmm, that'll be the one then.

his books were never actually just about taking drugs. if ever you read fear and loathing in las vegas (or even bothered to read the blurb on the back cover) you'd see that he was a pioneer

of a new style of writing called gonzo journalism. f.a.l in las vegas was about the death of the american dream. the drug induced hallucintations were mostly metaphors.

when people say "oh i just read this book", they really mean it huh? they dont interpret it or try to understand any possible underlying meaning or message. they just.....read it. string long sections of words together without giving a thought to what it means

However' date=' on these same forums, it would appear that some views are more valid than others[/quote']

"all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

people whose idea of radical and rebellious behaviour is eating an After Eight mint at half past seven.

uhm' date=' the topic has nothing to do with radical or rebellious behaviour, though that was thompsons norm' it has nothing to do with what everyone was saying. or did you just get too tangled up in your rant?

Or should I look up everything on the internet first so that I can appear knowledgeable and therefore worthy of more respect,

uhm, my knowledge of thompson comes from reading all of his books (barr one which is out of print) including all of his official/ unofficial biographies and having lengthy conversations with other 'gonzo' fanatics. NOT..... (and yes, i daringly used the 'caps lock' button there) NOT the internet

the down and out thing was written by the other guy though. anyway dino, don't take forum posts too personally. it's the internet, misunderstandings are inevitable because you can't see or hear people. the best would be to beam all forum users into a pub one day. we could even have a beer and people are usually nicer when you are close enough to punch them hehe... or we could just go sit somehwere and smoke together :)

back to the topic. i saw fear and loathing (the film) when i was sixteen, liked it a lot, but never took the initiative to actually physically go out and get the book. which is something i might do now, some stuff that was posted here has raised an interest in it (i'm not reading that much anymore, which makes it harder for me to get started with a new book, plus i got more and more into kuper/tobocman/drooker/masereel/ward/patri comics recently, which, to me, is good stuff yet you can "read" it quicker). actually my flatmate has most of hst's books, so i'll go steal some of those as soon as i'm back in aberdeen...

thanx for that :)