aberdeen-music

Josephine Foster 9/10 NME Album review

Graeme

Josephine Foster-Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You

Renaissance folk siren. Please do not burn at stake

Usually when someone tells you an artist has a great voice its by way of apology for heinous music. Josephine Foster is a rare exception to this rule-she has a truly wonderful voice and extraordinary songs. Indeed, she sounds not unlike 70s hippy-folk icon Joni Mitchell, but with the sunny Californian vibe replaced by that of plague-ravaged 15th-century England-particularly impressive considering shes from Chicago. The likes of The Sirens Admonition are more spell than song and the sort of thing thatd have you burnt at the stake in less enlightened times, such is their unearthly beauty. May we recommend a similar fate for the first person to describe her as the female Devendra Banhart?

See her live at The Tunnels on Tuesday 23rd August

Josephine Foster-Hazel Eyes' date=' I Will Lead You

Renaissance folk siren. Please do not burn at stake[/b']

Usually when someone tells you an artist has a great voice its by way of apology for heinous music. Josephine Foster is a rare exception to this rule-she has a truly wonderful voice and extraordinary songs. Indeed, she sounds not unlike 70s hippy-folk icon Joni Mitchell, but with the sunny Californian vibe replaced by that of plague-ravaged 15th-century England-particularly impressive considering shes from Chicago. The likes of The Sirens Admonition are more spell than song and the sort of thing thatd have you burnt at the stake in less enlightened times, such is their unearthly beauty. May we recommend a similar fate for the first person to describe her as the female Devendra Banhart?

See her live at The Tunnels on Tuesday 23rd August

there is a wee faint glimmer of hope for the nme yet

how about diane cluck? Shes just as ace as josephine.http://www.unicornsounds.com/diane.htm

i suggest you check out Josephine this Tuesday & let us know, however

Diane is part of the anti folk movement , interesting music have promoted

events featuring thomas truax (here in oct) majot matt masson, pantsuit,

schwervon & Lach played the LT once, so who knows she maybe part

of a tour package in the future?

I can't enthuse enough about tonight. Mi & L'au started by burning slowly, and became intensely fascinating, with some absolutely beautiful and moving harmonies, and Josephine captured every heart present with ease, with music which was both beguiling and heart-warming. The vibe at the end of the night with all 3 on stage was fantastic........another special night, courtesy of Interesting Music.

I've been attending gigs in Aberdeen since c. 1971, and tonight was in my Top Ten, easily!!!!!!!!