aberdeen-music

XY:XX (Harsh elctronics): Myspace + New song.

N.M

After a wee bit of thought, and the ever increasing influence of boredom, a Myspace page has been made for XY:XX. Don't know if much folk on here would be interested, but I thought I'd post about it anyway.

XY:XX

Also, it may be noted that the page contains the first and, so far, only complete track: Hope Diminished.

Enjoy.

Seriously' date=' did you just roll around on a keyboard and feed it through a synthesizer or something? I mean, I'm all for variety in music... but is that even music?[/quote']

Congratulations! You are the first person to reply, expressing your thoughts of it not being music at all. I've already had the "I can see what your doing, but there's really no direction to it at all", but never the "That's music! In that case, I'm away to record the sound of a hammer crushing against a cat's skull for the next hour, and release it as a concept album."

If it pleases you to think of it as some form of arranged noise rather than music, then go for it. That's what all music really is any way when brought down to a very basic level, an arrangement of sequenced notes and sounds. :up:

Cheers for the reply anyway.

goodness, i am mightily impressed with the thickness of the sound in this, really quite reminiscent of very heavy aphex twin or boards of canada, i'm liking it quite a lot, although im sure i have already said on your previous track you posted, i think some diversion to the sound would help it go a long way, did u ever think of adding a bass track? i personnaly think it would help it a lot, having said that this is a very individual approach and its up to you what you want to do with it, but some of the rich noises are incredible, nice work

goodness' date=' i am mightily impressed with the thickness of the sound in this, really quite reminiscent of very heavy aphex twin or boards of canada, i'm liking it quite a lot, although im sure i have already said on your previous track you posted, i think some diversion to the sound would help it go a long way, did u ever think of adding a bass track? i personnaly think it would help it a lot, having said that this is a very individual approach and its up to you what you want to do with it, but some of the rich noises are incredible, nice work[/quote']

Yeah, the sound I was aiming for on that track was more to the higher end of things, although I can see what you mean with the lack of bass. Still, I'm going to be working on stuff throughout the summer, so chances are at some point I'll get a track out with enough bass to kick a speaker in. :D

Again, thanks for the comments. :up:

Yeah' date=' the sound I was aiming for on that track was more to the higher end of things, although I can see what you mean with the lack of bass. Still, I'm going to be working on stuff throughout the summer, so chances are at some point I'll get a track out with enough bass to kick a speaker in. :D

Again, thanks for the comments. :up:[/quote']

haha, that sounds great, i have been working n a lot of solo electronic style stuff, i havn't got round to posting it on myspace or anything as i am incredibly lazy, its a lot more gentle tahn this stuff, out of interest what programmes do you use to get your sounds??, personnally i use a variety of freeware and pirated versions of cubase, cool edit, hammerhead etc.

haha' date=' that sounds great, i have been working n a lot of solo electronic style stuff, i havn't got round to posting it on myspace or anything as i am incredibly lazy, its a lot more gentle tahn this stuff, out of interest what programmes do you use to get your sounds??, personnally i use a variety of freeware and pirated versions of cubase, cool edit, hammerhead etc.[/quote']

I've just been using Fruity Loops for all of it. I've just newly started to understand the workings of it, so I haven't really tried out any programs, and haven't got enough cash to buy any hardware or anything.

Any programs you would recommend at all?

hammerhead is a great drum machine, so easy to use, but there is a huge amount of freeware music software out there u just need to experiment to find the best one. To be honest i am quite happy with the effects you get in cubase they seem to all do the trick for me. I havn't actually ever tried using fruity loops but i hear its excellent and from the noises you were getting i can see it can be used for all sorts, i might have little look into it, where di u get get your fruity loops from? i presume it is not freeware :(

hammerhead is a great drum machine' date=' so easy to use, but there is a huge amount of freeware music software out there u just need to experiment to find the best one. To be honest i am quite happy with the effects you get in cubase they seem to all do the trick for me. I havn't actually ever tried using fruity loops but i hear its excellent and from the noises you were getting i can see it can be used for all sorts, i might have little look into it, where di u get get your fruity loops from? i presume it is not freeware :([/quote']

Unfortunately, the proper versions of FL can cost quite a bit, and the demo version doesn't actually allow you to save much at all. The legality of my copy is quite... * cough * questionable * cough *

Still, if I could afford it, I would buy it.

I'm very impressed. I really like the "grit" of "Hope Diminished". I like "1" even better, especially because of the startling tonal passage that cuts in it just before the two minute mark; it's quite a pretty-sounding passage on it's own, but the juxtaposition of it against the abrasiveness of the track as a whole really makes it stand out. As Buckley said, the thickness of the sound is impressive, and a deeper bass-end may work on some tracks, but I feel the two already up function perfectly without one. Overall, I'm very, very impressed, and look forward to hearing more of XY:XX.