aberdeen-music

Introduction courses to Midi Sequencing & Multitrack Recording

Guest Startex

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, it would help Dave a lot if you told him which course(s) you're interested in out of the two.

And as far as I know, 6-8, Tues and Wed but I don't know which is which.

Dave, are these classes going to be at the Foyer? Just thinkng that 6 might be a bit early for people with *gasp* proper jobs unless it's city centre.

Guest Startex

Will try to get back to everybody later today. Costs are confirmed as just 15 per course but anyone who is unemployed get's the fee waived (or is that waved?) by the college. The Midi course starts on Tuesday April 20th, 6pm-8pm with the multitrack recording the following night at the same time. The courses are the same time each week for six weeks. The midi gear should arrive today or tomorrow but I haven't got any of the multitrack gear sorted out yet but hope to be able to use the Foyer Music gear.

Iain, it will indeed be at Aberdeen Foyer, and how much more city central can you get? Excluding Cafe Drummonds of course! :D

It's good to see at least one college taking this on board.

I tried to interest Moray college in this very thing and was asked to present a plan of what would be needed. It was turned down flat due to the money involved, mostly soaked up by licensing for cubase and cakewalk and such.

I'm pleased to see such a good response from people and I may go back and say there is a demand.

Same thing happened to a suggestion for a live performance course, covering things like PA, setting up mixes, monitors, vocals, drums and such purely for the gigging musician. They expected me to provide the gear required for hands on stuff!! And wouldn't even print out books for it!

Head....wall....bang on.

Guest Startex

Ibid

Suggest you talk to Adam Arnit at Antrium, the group of colleges around Scotland who have been providing many, many courses like thiese for well over a decade now. You can contact him at Jewel & Esk Valley College in Edinburgh.

Guest Startex

OK, here we go at last!

:bat:

OK, here we go, details at last....

Introduction to midi-sequencing

Starts Tuesday 20th Apri - 6pm-8pm

It will run each Tuesday for six weeks

Introduction to multitrack-recording

Starts Wednesday 21st Apri - 6pm-8pm

It will run each Wednesday for six weeks

At the end the six weeks, the six students will get a college certificate for completing the course. No exams or anything so don't fret! The certificate will be a big boost to your chances if you then decide to do the full course at Aberdeen College.

The only entry requirements are a willingness to learn. A basic understanding of music will be useful as well! There are only 6 places on each course but if you don't get into the first one we intend to continue them one after the other for the forseeable future. I will be contating everyone who has PM'd me their telephone numbers/contact details etc. If you are interested and have not yet PM'd me details, please DO SO NOW and don't forget to let me know which courses you are interested in, as well as a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Any questions, PM ME!!!!, or phone me at Foyer Music, 01224 252 894.

• 1 month later...
Guest Startex

Latest news

As we have had so much demand for these courses we will be running them repeatedly until nobody else wants to do them. There are six spaces on each course but as soon as we find there are less than that we won't be able to run any more so if you want to do the course make sure that we have you name on the list. The list I have at the moment is:

Introduction to midi-sequencing:

1. Sean Mckenna

2. Dean Ross

3. Lee Reid

4. Steve Buchan

5. Lee Henderson

6. Bobbie Franks

7. Charlie Walker

8. Jamie Urquhart

9. Ian Simpson

10. Iain Christie

11. Al Chivers

12. Paul Symons

13. Nicholas Fitzgerald

14. Frank Walker

15. Kenny Brownlie

16. Dylan Laurie

Introduction to multitrack recording

1. Sean Mckenna

2. Dean Ross

3. Lee Reid

4. Steve Buchan

5. Lee Hendreson

6. Sam Annal

7. Charlie Walker

8. Jamie Urquhart *

9. Craig Scott

10. Jason McGill

11. Ben Greig

12. Mark McTavish

13. Struan Robertson

14. Steven Cross

15. Frank Walker

16. Graeme Cattanach

17. Del Franklin

18. Al Chivers

19. Rory Will

20. Andrew MacIntosh

21. Nicholas Fitzgerald

22. Bobbie Franks

23. Kenny Brownlie

If your name is one of the first six on the list please get down to Aberdeen College in the Gallowgate and register for the course as soon as possible.THanks.

The second midi class will be starting on Tuesday 8th June. If your name is not on the above list and you want to do the course PM or email me now!. The first recording course will be starting the following evening. Rory will be teaching the classes which are free if you are unemployed or just 15 for the course if you ain't. Remember that the courses are just short introductions to midi and multitrack recording. They won't go into details. They are accredited courses so you'll get a certificate from Aberdeen College which will go a long way towards helping you get into more detailed courses. If there's enough demand we might be able to run more extensive courses but first we need to get enough people through the introductions.

Any questions at all, just drop me a line. Ta.

:band:

Oh! Just as well I looked otherwise I'd be turning up (no doubt with a few others on the list) - I know there are a lot of people signed up, but as the class size wasn't mentioned in the earlier posts/PMs couldn't an email have been sent out?!

So, just to confirm, the 2nd course runs from 8th June until the 13th of July? Also, is there any alternative to registering at the college (as I presume it'll be closed over the summer)?

I'll PM this to you too, just to make sure you get it... ;)

Guest Startex

Ghost

just 6 people in each class, which will improve things. If you don't get onto the first one, don't freak out as you should be able to get on the next one!
the six students will get a college certificate for completing the course

Is that not mentioning class size?

Guest Startex

Well, the fist midi course starts on Tuesday. That's the 20th. The rest will be on 27th, 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th. So the next course will start on either the 1st or the 8th, depending if Rory needs a break! OPf course I haven't got clearance from the college yet, it's awkward ebnough even getting them to admit that it exists in their system!

Originally posted by Dave Foyer:

Is that not mentioning class size?

You're quite right - my eyes have deceived me. Apologies!

I still think you could have made more of an effort to contact folk though - would have taken you the same amount of time to send an email than it did to post on this board.

Guest Startex

That would indeed have been simple, if everyone who applied had given me their name and email address.

Criticising is easy, why don't you set up some classes instead, then I'm sure they would be run perfectly? :D

Guest Startex
:D I'm sure it will. What I thought would be the most difficult part, getting the funding, turned out to be the easiest. I got 6 pc's and keyboards with bog-standard soundblasters, and and now rushing around madly trying to get the gear together for the recording part before Wednesday. Stressfull indeed!