aberdeen-music

T-Bone Walker is a ledgend

JME

The man pionered electric blues and the whole way artists performed on stage with a guitar, regardless of the music they played. The whole concept of a front man, singin with guitar, showing off, in your face etc.. We owe soo much to the hard working guys that pionered that now so common electric sound, i feel far too many people are not aware of the true roots of modern guitar music, such as rock, metal,blues and anything else. Most kids know their good charlotte (dire shite) from their lenny kravitz, but have never heard of players such as T-Bone and Blind Lemon Jefferson.

Gotta teach these kids some real music!! :swearing:

Discuss

The former of course! Teaching the history of popular music is a stupid idea because you can't cover everything, you can only give one side of things. It'll just end up with youngsters being told what to like, the way i remember being taught that Queen, Elvis and Michael Jackson made the greatest music ever. Although i guess the same thing does happen in English. Still no need to make things worse than they already are.

I'm not suggesting music appreciation classes' date=' but the utilisation of academic methods in order to educate and inform students about the history and development of a vital and immediate part of modern culture. It could be taught by qualified people who have a good understanding of the form, not just the most well known aspects of it. The students can make up their own mind as to which performers they prefer, as you and I did when we studied literature at school.[/quote']

Unfortunately i don't think when you study literature at school you really get enough choice. There are no writer i read now who i got into through study at school. I guess it could be different for others though. I wouldn't expect classes on the history and development of music to be any different. I know you weren't suggesting music appreciation classes, but my point is that unfortunately the individual tastes of teachers would probably dictate which artists we are made to believe were important in the development of popular music.