aberdeen-music

Political Music Yes/No?

Guest Page 99

Guest Page 99

I'll give RATM their due, they all were very active people within politics but with regards to the actual music, they did themselves no favours as much of the lyrics are all basic anti governmental sloganeering:

e.g. The lyric "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me"

Hardly the sign of a lyricist whom is trying to convey a political ideology other than "fuck the government man"

Non?

Guest Page 99

Perhaps.

I personaly have never been inspired by any of RATM's albums even having owned them for a few years, perhaps it is just down to personal preferance.

I'll give RATM their due' date=' they all were very active people within politics but with regards to the actual music, they did themselves no favours as much of the lyrics are all basic anti governmental sloganeering:

Hardly the sign of a lyricist whom is trying to convey a political ideology other than "fuck the government man"

Non?[/quote']

I daresay there's more than an element of truth in that.

However, they had fucking ace riffs.

I'll give RATM their due' date=' they all were very active people within politics but with regards to the actual music, they did themselves no favours as much of the lyrics are all basic anti governmental sloganeering:

Non?[/quote']

They also wrote incredibly politically aware and intelligent lyrics however, about very specific subjects, for example in Calm Like a Bomb -

"Like Baldwin home from Paris.

Like Steel from a furnace

I was born landless...

It's the native son

Born of Zapata's guns."

So it wasn't all 'fuck the Government'.

I have been influenced by outspoken bands like napalm death, rage against the machine, conflict, oi polloi, dead kennedy's, extreme noise terror, radiohead, one minute silence,

public enemy. I think they are all great bands. I still believe in tom morello even in his audioslave days when he formed axis of justice.