aberdeen-music

floyd rose help *groan*

bryn

most of the bits pointed out in the picture are irrelevant to you, just the picture was drawn for explaining how floyds work completely, all that interests you is the spring claw

you will first need to take off the plate that covers the trem, its the big rectangular one in the middle of the body, just tae out all the screws (usually 6) and the plate will fall out

what you need to do is tighten/loosen the screws holding the spring claw to the body, if the floyd is being pulled out of the body, you tighten the screws a bit, if it is sitting back 'into' the body, loosen them

remember you only need to tighten/loosen the screws a little, then retune, as the retuning will move the bridge a bt more, so loosen/tighten a little, then tune up, then repeat untill the bridge is level

David

Keep retuning it everytime you touch the screws. It takes ages!

If you've put 10's on it's worth angling the 2 outer springs for more tension - I had to do this with one of mine. Also make sure you loosen the bolts at the nut...

Originally posted by Craig Quik:

Keep retuning it everytime you touch the screws. It takes ages!

If you've put 10's on it's worth angling the 2 outer springs for more tension - I had to do this with one of mine. Also make sure you loosen the bolts at the nut...

it takes quite a while to get it right, but its not hard to do

remember the guage and brand of strings you have used, so next time you can use the same ones

the trem needs to be set up for different guages/brands as they all have slightly different tensions

you will probably have to make small ajustments with every string change, but these will be simpe and quick enough if you are using the same brand/guage

David

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass:

Or - Be a hero and block the beast up with a block of wood - no more problems with any type of string.....

if you wanted it blocked, wouldnt it have been a better idea to buy a guitar without a floyd inthe first place...

i wouldnt want to pay for a floyd then not be able to use it, i do block mine for alternative tunings sometimes, but the block comes out aftre im done playing in the other tuning

David

Originally posted by bryn:

"Or - Be a hero and block the beast up with a block of wood - no more problems with any type of string....."

err, Im not like that Offspring guy whos custom RG dusnt have a trem. what a lamo

They're not all customs - you can get RG's with fixed bridges.

I have an RG and I never use the trem, but I like it cos the tuning's pretty damn stable. Only thing is that it goes outta tune if I break a string :(

They're not all customs - you can get RG's with fixed bridges.

I have an RG and I never use the trem, but I like it cos the tuning's pretty damn stable. Only thing is that it goes outta tune if I break a string :(

if you dont use the trem at all, then its probably a good idea to block the trem on it, for one if a string breaks you will still be in tune,and it should help add some more sustain to the guitar

David

I've thought about it but never really bothered as I dont break many strings. I've got a spare guitar incase I do tho.

What I do want to do is silence the springs cos you can hear them vibrating one you mute the strings - I'll be stuffing foam into the back of my guitars soon I think...

I've thought about it but never really bothered as I dont break many strings. I've got a spare guitar incase I do tho.

What I do want to do is silence the springs cos you can hear them vibrating one you mute the strings - I'll be stuffing foam into the back of my guitars soon I think...

I like the sound the springs give to a guitar with a trem, a natural reverb can exist which is nice. One of the main reasons I bought a guitar with a trem.