aberdeen-music

The Gun Club featuring Malcolm Middleton of Arab Strap

I also played a Bridget St John cover!!!! (But the Tanakh one isn't a cover...I wrote the words' date=' chords and the main melody, but Jesse Poe of Tanakh altered a few words, and added a couple of 'twiddly bits' to the melody....their version will be on their next album...nice string arrangements).

Personally I really enjoyed Steven's set, and he certainly gripped the audience far more than Philip and I did....I misjudged our set, and made it too quiet. Steven judged it just right IMO. :kiss::up:[/quote']

Cheers to Bodast and Mr Cynic for kind words.

Sorry about that Tanakh mistake, as I have the cd I should know these things! Just to make clear, I was'nt at any point having a go at Mr Cynic.Merely making a point. Let me know about the Dominos match this week! Saturday night?7pm?

I thought you guys set was great. It made me nervous to follow on from you guys! Your set went down really well, every one I was with was impressed and the only the folk who were speaking during both yours, mine and even Malcolm Middletons sets were those at the bar.

Just seems to be the way in Tunnels that on a packed night people at the back/bar cant see so tend to pay less attention. Its never a reflection on the act playing, its just the way people are. People will always talk at the bar and back but then the front of the stage reception is really good as people sit quiet because they can see and also it is louder so they cant really speak over you! Plus alchohol doesnt help as people inevitably talk more when pished!

You and the songs sounded fine' date=' dont be worrying about it. Your dominoes playing on the other hand, aha!!!!

:D[/quote']

hey Cheers phil. Im really NOT worrying about my songs, however, my domino playing on the other hand.Im worried about very much so.

Will be practicing and I will take you down son, take you down to chinatown

Guest Zeenat Aman

Just seems to be the way in Tunnels that on a packed night people at the back/bar cant see so tend to pay less attention. Its never a reflection on the act playing' date=' its just the way people are. People will always talk at the bar and back but then the front of the stage reception is really good as people sit quiet because they can see and also it is louder so they cant really speak over you! Plus alchohol doesnt help as people inevitably talk more when pished![/quote']

At one point the talking was so loud, I struggled to hear what Alan and myself were playing. Maybe the acid mothers have altered my ears for ever!!!

xXDeAfCoReXx

:rockon:

I was quiet 'cos I was in a huff at Mr Milne and the Zeenat kid hustling me at dommies. They let on they didn't know how to play, and once I had "taught" them they let me win a game before upping the stakes and taking me for all I was worth. :swearing:

Maybe I should rephrase that last line to 'fleecing me'???

Guest Zeenat Aman
I was quiet 'cos I was in a huff at Mr Milne and the Zeenat kid hustling me at dommies. They let on they didn't know how to play' date=' and once I had "taught" them they let me win a game before upping the stakes and taking me for all I was worth. :swearing:

Maybe I should rephrase that last line to 'fleecing me'???[/quote']

I'm a fast learner.

:gringo:

As I said to a friend at the time about Steven: "He's inessential' date=' but I'm having him". It's a pity you weren't born 60 years ago, you would have gone down a treat playing a Beat cafe in Grenwich Village[/quote']

Maybe its because its late but I dont understand? :help:

Sorry

Is the above a credit to me or a negative point?

Does "having him" mean like me or mean to physically beat me up after the gig?

Im assuming its negative but didnt Dylan, Neil Young and co used to play in Grenwich Village 60 years ago?If so, thatd have been a cool place to hang out.

Wrong to assume it was negative. I'm just saying that was a time and a place where singing self-penned songs on an acoustic guitar was enough to get you an audience, and maybe a more attentive one at that. Plus, the self-styled singer-songwriter was perhaps rarer then. You're in essential in the grand scheme of things, but I liked your set because it was a good listen, basically, nice and uptempo. I can see why you were booked, to make it evening of gentle singer-songwriters. Perhaps there should be a venue dedicated to only acoustic performers

I appreciate what you mean about the accoustic thing and didnt think it was negative.

Im glad you have no plans to beat me up.

As for the scratching of the head, I became aware of that myself halfway through. Think it came about from having my hair cut that morning/ nervous twitch as well as trying to remember first lines and chords to songs!

Memory loss is a terrible thing and worrying at 22!

I was watching a video of the Kitchen Cynics supporting the ISB, and I kept scratching my hair, too! Also, Mike and myself did synchro nose-wiping a few times. I'm now trying to force myself to rub my legs instead. It's less noticable for the audience, although it gets the rest of the band aroused!!! :love:

As for the scratching of the head' date=' I became aware of that myself halfway through. Think it came about from having my hair cut that morning/ nervous twitch as well as trying to remember first lines and chords to songs!

[/quote']

I understand. I've yet to sing infront of a crowd yet, but when I do I imagine I'll have a tic, and it maybe considerably more noticeable than the odd scratch.

The hair was impressively shaggy after just being cut. You still looked like a male Katie Holmes

Guest Steve Irwin

first guy - why bother?

kitchen cynics - good, went on too long though

steven milne - not what an acoustic guitar is made for

Malcolm Middleton - pretty damn good

great club after too