aberdeen-music

micing up a tom cat

Guest Mr Blastcap

Guest Mr Blastcap

whats the best way to mic up a tom cat- i've heard those little clip on lapel mic's will do the trick but might prove to noisy. maybe i should use a matched pair of condensers ? what do the tech-heads of aberdeen think?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

it depends what you are looking for - if it just meowing etc i suggest you use triggers, there are some really realistic samples out there and they often sound a lot clearer than the real thing (no noise or fur spillage etc) however for if you are kicking the cat use a kick drum mic, you'll get a much deeper thud and they look cool as well. also try DI, but you have to plug it in at the right point or the whole thing can blow up (the cat i mean)

Guest Electric Tibet

I heard Steve Albini uses a pair of ribbon mics placed 15-20 feet away at floor level. Unfortunately you get phasing problems if the tomcat starts moving about.

Guest Zeenat Aman

This recording is a combination of clip on mic's and Mr Tibet's/Albini ribbon mic method:

03/04/05

I found it tricky avoiding picking up the sound of the cat moving, but staples and cellotape proved to be suitable for keeping them in place.

Tractors are tricky.

Undermic it with a kick drum mic (AKG D112 works surprisingly well, I knew they had a use) and place a condensor above the engine casing (remembering to reverse the polarity of one of these mics).

If you want a more ambient sound you could try the ribbon method outlined above but I find they're too sensitive and tend to pick up the rustle of lumberjack shirts too easily.

Here's a little trick I picked up in Turrif: Put vaseline on the tractor operators wellies, you know what it's like when you think you've got the perfect take only to discover a stray squeak in the middle eight.

I'm currently experimenting with micing up the exhaust with an old biro, with mixed results.

Red ink and about 3/4 empty seems to be the best on massie fergies but john deers do better with a half full black one. Go figure.

Take it from a pro in this field (haha scuse the pun!) Best bet for a tractor is a Sennheiser 416.....works on emmerdale :D

The 416 is definately a good choice' date=' but you're likely to loose a lot of the 'field' ambience..

A lot of folks complain that it produces too clinical a tractror sound :D

Good source of mic info here:

[url']http://members.aol.com/mihartkopf/index.htm

Guest Mr Blastcap

the project shrouded in secrecy!

its fairly secret, but its going to be great! it will rock the aberdeen scene to the core. forget about 10ew, mmw,gggr, soodit, and dlmfssss. !