aberdeen-music

Guitar Restoration...

Tav

Is there anywhere local or near Aberdeen that do full guitar restoration <re-finish, re-fret, restore hardware, the works basically>? I have a late 60's SG in need of some attention and was wondering if there is anywhere that people can recommend. Places to get it set up <trus rod, bigsby, intonation, action etc> would also be of benifit.

If there's no where local then national would also be fine?

Originally posted by Tav:

Is there anywhere local or near Aberdeen that do full guitar restoration <re-finish, re-fret, restore hardware, the works basically>? I have a late 60's SG in need of some attention and was wondering if there is anywhere that people can recommend. Places to get it set up <trus rod, bigsby, intonation, action etc> would also be of benifit.

If there's no where local then national would also be fine?

Is the guitar that bad? by restoring/re-finishing the guitar you loose lots of its value....

I could set it up for you...does it need a re-fret?

G...

I am considering just a set up after thinking about it last night. I could set up the trem/intonation myself but neck relief is something I haven't done before. New pots and wiring would also be a must too I think. Re-fret might be needed but I think I can put that off for a while yet. The main problem is the fact it goes out of tune so easily. Anyone suggest any reasons for this?

Keeping the original hardware and finish would be good to retain it's character, just need to be careful as it belongs to another family member and it's old. Currently it just sits in it's case which is such a waste.

How are Bruce Millars and RandB's for getting set ups done by the way?

I am considering just a set up after thinking about it last night. I could set up the trem/intonation myself but neck relief is something I haven't done before. New pots and wiring would also be a must too I think. Re-fret might be needed but I think I can put that off for a while yet. The main problem is the fact it goes out of tune so easily. Anyone suggest any reasons for this?

Keeping the original hardware and finish would be good to retain it's character, just need to be careful as it belongs to another family member and it's old. Currently it just sits in it's case which is such a waste.

How are Bruce Millars and RandB's for getting set ups done by the way?

There is no setting up involved in a bigsby trem unit....and they are only designed for gentle trem action, anything more vigerous will cause the guitar to go out of tune, if the guitar has been well used in the past the machine heads could be worn and be causing tuning stability problems.

Very careful attention should be given to the bridge string saddles on any gibson with a trem as any friction will cause the guitar to go out of tune every time you touch the bigsby. Is the bigsby moving freely when the guitar has no strings on.....? if its been living in its case in a less than perfect environment then it may have partially seized

Is the neck warped that it needs the truss adjusted?

Machine heads could be the problem...there orginal and it was well used and gigged in it's younger days, all but one of the machine heads are original...a little accident when I was 3 and I knocked it over caued one to go missing. The neck does seem to have slightly too much forward bow to it so some adjustment there would prob. be needed. Just need someone to look at it really and tell me whats wrong and what needs done.

Machine heads could be the problem...there orginal and it was well used and gigged in it's younger days, all but one of the machine heads are original...a little accident when I was 3 and I knocked it over caued one to go missing. The neck does seem to have slightly too much forward bow to it so some adjustment there would prob. be needed. Just need someone to look at it really and tell me whats wrong and what needs done.

I'd be only to happy to cast an eye over it...

G...

Guest neil ex

You don't have the intellegence to comprehend setting up and restoring a guitar let alone acctually carrying the task out. So does no one have any ideas?

oh right ok then, take it to a shop and spend 100 pounds or something, when i would have done it all for a fiver, i'll do it all for a tener now that you were being rude, that's if you see sense and change your mind.

i'm smarter than catanach!