aberdeen-music

Audio Engineering Degrees...

huntedbyafreak

Yo

Has anybody done any audio engineering courses for any length of time (1-4 years)? I am hoping to go to Glasgow and start a college course this September and I was just wondering what to expect. Is there a lot of theory? Do you need any experience or to read up on anything before you start? What is easy about it and what is challenging? Whats it all about, man?

Cheers,

Joss

omg Joss you fucking copycat! LOL I'm starting my HNC in music and audio technology like next week! I don't think they look for experience really although my applications for both perth and aberdeen asked me some questions about how amps worked and about some wires and stuff, fairly piss easy though.

omg Joss you fucking copycat! LOL I'm starting my HNC in music and audio technology like next week! I don't think they look for experience really although my applications for both perth and aberdeen asked me some questions about how amps worked and about some wires and stuff' date=' fairly piss easy though.[/quote']

are you doing all this at aberdeen college? what sort of questions were you asked? i want to know everything!

are you doing all this at aberdeen college? what sort of questions were you asked? i want to know everything!

I am indeed, erm they asked me what the function of a PA system was, and the function of a microphone, there was another one that i can't remember. They also asked what you wanted to do after the course and the usual crap like that.

Perth asked me about some cables and midi if i remember correctly, but that was the application for an HND.

I'm the ONLY girl on my course... I'm still not sure whether this is a good or bad thing, right seeing as I've now got information about what happens on the course I feel I should be nice and tell you what it involves...

the units are:

Freelance Working Skills : Understanding of the freelance working environment in preperation for industry. CV skills, interview skills, etc

Audio Systems : Connection of Audio Equipment to form usable systems. Design of systems and testing of systems.

MIDI Basic Applications : Understanding of MIDI protocol, and basic MIDI functions.

Multitrack Recording : Grounding in the operation and basic recording techniques found in recording studios.

Multitrack Mixdown : Mixdown of recorded material to form final product. Production techniques, etc.

theres also like a unit on IT which is just showing you how to use a computer and that basically, and theres a unit on Live where you'll learn about... live sound.

I've been told there'll be written assessments for each unit or something, but it's more pratical work than anything else you'll be doing.

Joss I thought you were at uni man, did you just decide a change or something?

Kat.

• 2 weeks later...

the units are:

Freelance Working Skills : Understanding of the freelance working environment in preperation for industry. CV skills' date=' interview skills, etc

Audio Systems : Connection of Audio Equipment to form usable systems. Design of systems and testing of systems.

MIDI Basic Applications : Understanding of MIDI protocol, and basic MIDI functions.

Multitrack Recording : Grounding in the operation and basic recording techniques found in recording studios.

Multitrack Mixdown : Mixdown of recorded material to form final product. Production techniques, etc.

theres also like a unit on IT which is just showing you how to use a computer and that basically, and theres a unit on Live where you'll learn about... live sound.

I've been told there'll be written assessments for each unit or something, but it's more pratical work than anything else you'll be doing.

[/quote']

that sounds pretty interesting to me... it's also good that they have the element about how to get a job when you're finished as well! :cheers: