aberdeen-music

School League tables

Intravenous

Has anyone else read the article in The Times about the new way that school league tables have been decided? Apparently now instead of just taking exam results into consideration extra vocational qualifications are now also being taken into account. This itself is fair enough, but when you read that a certificate in cake decoration or pattern cutting and wired sugar flowers is equivelant to GCSEs in English, mathematics and science or that a distinction in cake decoration is worth more than an A grade in GCSE physics it really is ridiculous and absurd.

The inaccuracy of the new table is shown by the fact that Eton College, possibly the most expensive and highest achieving school in the country, was ranked the 195th best school. Because of this new system league tables no longer tell parents anything valuable about the quality of a school's academic programme and by equating vocational qualifications with GCSEs in hard subjects it will encourage an "aim low" attitude to exams and will de-motivate pupils studying them.

What do you think?

thats a bit crap so like crap schools where the highest amrks any one ever gets at highers is 3cs a d an a fail can be ranked higher than eton? or maybe i;m confused..but if not wat pile of crap

That's exactly what the article is saying...schools with low academic achievement can be rated very highly if all the pupils managed to get some form of certificate in subjects such as cake decorating.

League tables never tell parents anything useful about schools anyway. They're the most destructive thing to be introduced into the education system since exams. Parents shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose which school their child goes to, it just leads to all the clever children going to one school and all the thicos going to another. The teachers at the thicko school lose heart at the ineptitude of their pupils and stop bothering to teach them anything, instead just trying to get them through the school as soon as possible. Then the good ones get transferred to the school with clever pupils and then you have rubbish teachers trying to teach rubbish pupils. And then you have Tony Blair saying "I want everyone to go to uni because it means more money for... oops I mean I want everyone to have a degree. Because once everyone has a degree, everyone will have exactly the same chance of getting a job, and thus the value of a degree will diminish. Oh wait a minute, I haven't really thought this through properly..."

Who gives a fuck if Eton is ranked lower than Northfield Academy or whatever? That's a great laugh. All those arrogant fucks thinking "oh we'll pay money to make sure Cecil gets the best possible education, instead of sending him to one of those common schools where they'll mix with commoners. He'll turn out to be a much better man for it."

It doesn't matter what school you send your kid to; if they're clever, they'll do well. If they're thick, they'll do shit. Simple as that. I just went to Harlaw, but I did fucking brilliantly. Yet most of the people I know that went to Robert Gordons did shite and somehow didn't learn the difference between right and wrong, something that is easier to learn when you're surounded by a bunch of minks and you think "I don't want to be like THAT twat."

Sorry, this has turned into an anti-private school rant. But what's the point of education if you have to pay for the privalige?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Yet most of the people I know that went to Robert Gordons did shite and somehow didn't learn the difference between right and wrong' date=' something that is easier to learn when you're surounded by a bunch of minks and you think "I don't want to be like THAT twat."

Sorry, this has turned into an anti-private school rant. But what's the point of education if you have to pay for the privalige?[/quote']

Objection! Yes, I went to Gordon's and yes, I did shite, too wrapped up in grind and booze. The whole experience turned me into an extreme left-winger because I was surrounded by revolting little snobs who are probably still Daddy's-chequebooking it to this day. It was definitely a lesson in how not to be, as I remember thinking "I'm arseholed if I'm going to end up like these toffee-nosed little buggerfucktwatbastards".

Objection! Yes' date=' I went to Gordon's and yes, I did shite, too wrapped up in grind and booze. The whole experience turned me into an extreme left-winger because I was surrounded by revolting little snobs who are probably still Daddy's-chequebooking it to this day. It was definitely a lesson in how not to be, as I remember thinking "I'm arseholed if I'm going to end up like these toffee-nosed little buggerfucktwatbastards".[/quote']

That's excellent to hear and retains my faith in humanity. Did you get a scholarship? I don't mean to generalise, but you know.... More so than me by the sound of it!

It doesn't matter what school you send your kid to; if they're clever, they'll do well

I agree that if a child is clever they will do well no matter where they go, but I also think that its true that if a child is sent to a better school then they will be encouraged to reach their full potential and will be able to achieve things they wouldnt otherwise. I also know that there are people at Harlaw who do and will do very well, and that there are some people at Robert Gordons who will get bad results but taking individual examples doesnt really prove anything: if you take the achievements of the school in general you will find that the level of achievement is much higher. I dont think that its true to say that all Gordons pupils are revolting little snobs and that a generalisation like that is just as bad as having the snobbish views that you claim them to haveI agree that its very true that some Gordons pupils are a right bunch of pathetic, elitist wankers who are happy to live off of their parents money but you will find that they are very much in the minority and that you get bastards like this in every school.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
That's excellent to hear and retains my faith in humanity. Did you get a scholarship? I don't mean to generalise' date=' but you know.... More so than me by the sound of it![/quote']

No, didn't get a bursary, my folks scrimped and saved to get me through. Unfortunately, while I was there my old man had a period on the dole and my life was a total hell when the word got out. Fucking bastards (my esteemed classmates) gave me a torrid time of it and I was the token "mink" who they looked down on. So, Intravenous, try putting up with that for a few fucking years before you dissect and over-analyse what I'm saying. Sure, there were a few decent folks there, but the majority of people I was at school with aren't worth a piss. Fucking snobs, end of.

No, didn't get a bursary, my folks scrimped and saved to get me through. Unfortunately, while I was there my old man had a period on the dole and my life was a total hell when the word got out. Fucking bastards (my esteemed classmates) gave me a torrid time of it and I was the token "mink" who they looked down on. So, Intravenous, try putting up with that for a few fucking years before you dissect and over-analyse what I'm saying. Sure, there were a few decent folks there, but the majority of people I was at school with aren't worth a piss. Fucking snobs, end of.

Well you may have just been unlucky in who you made friends with or it might have just been a one off year who were exceptionally shallow and snobbish, but now you'll find that there are only a few of those and that the majority of the people are decent and things like that don't mean anything to them.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Well you may have just been unlucky in who you made friends with or it might have just been a one off year who were exceptionally shallow and snobbish' date=' but now you'll find that there are only a few of those and that the majority of the people are decent and things like that don't mean anything to them.[/quote']

Is that right? That's good to know, sounds like there have been changes for the better, then. Fuck my luck to get a bad year! Mind you, this is going back to my primary 6 and 7 years in the mid-80's. And they did begin to leave me alone in secondary years, I take it you're there at the moment?

Is that right? That's good to know' date=' sounds like there have been changes for the better, then. Fuck my luck to get a bad year! Mind you, this is going back to my primary 6 and 7 years in the mid-80's. And they did begin to leave me alone in secondary years, I take it you're there at the moment?[/quote']

Children in primary school in any school can be cruel and the bullies will pick on anything they think will hurt, you were just unlucky. I am at Gordon's, in 6th year, and I have been there since primary 1 and I love it...there are a few stupid twats but there aren't many of them and everyone can see through them and generally they have no real friends.