aberdeen-music

body and neck

Guest lime

im looking to buy the body and a neck of a telecaster for a project.

does anyone know where i could buy either for a decent price, good quality etc?

iv been looking on the net and can only seem to find parts taken from vintage originals, and they cost a bomb...

ahhhh... a man with similar ideas as myself.

as suggested... i'd look around on eBay for parts as you can get some good shit for some good prices. I built a Telecaster(with two humbuckers) from parts that i bought on eBay for about 400, which isn't bad... considering its modified to my own specs.

if you really wanna buy new parts... then checl www.wdmusicproducts.co.uk or www.pincotts.com

its pretty expensive... but if your willing to splash the cash... then go fer it

Originally posted by Jeid

ahhhh... a man with similar ideas as myself.

as suggested... i'd look around on eBay for parts as you can get some good shit for some good prices. I built a Telecaster(with two humbuckers) from parts that i bought on eBay for about 400, which isn't bad... considering its modified to my own specs.

if you really wanna buy new parts... then checl www.wdmusicproducts.co.uk or www.pincotts.com

its pretty expensive... but if your willing to splash the cash... then go fer it

ooh, cool, i was thinking one humbucker, one single closed/open coil (aint decided), similair setup to the custom '72 re-release.

where did you get the body for your tele?

how did you cut the cavities for the body?

just wondering if theres some way to do it without buying the fancy tools, thing is, the bodies seem to come with pre cut cavities, which wont fit humbuckers, and i was considering doing without the control cavity, ala custom '72, so i have seperate volume and tone controls for each pickup.

also, i have a squire tele, and i was considering using the body and neck from that, and having the neck sanded down and refretted etc, although that would kinda restrict me to the control cavity thing again, meh, is there anything fundamentally shit about squire bodys that anyone knows of (i know the answer is probably going to be yes, but i thought id ask anyway)

did you know that squire teles have a different pickup selector than normal teles? its like 4 mm shorter or something, i replaced mine with a proper one and ended up having to drill some new holes in the control plate, the bastards, thats what you get for buying shit i guess, i didnt buy it really, i got it as a beginner for free, so cant complain.

Originally posted by lime

ooh, cool, i was thinking one humbucker, one single closed/open coil (aint decided), similair setup to the custom '72 re-release.

where did you get the body for your tele?

how did you cut the cavities for the body?

just wondering if theres some way to do it without buying the fancy tools, thing is, the bodies seem to come with pre cut cavities, which wont fit humbuckers, and i was considering doing without the control cavity, ala custom '72, so i have seperate volume and tone controls for each pickup.

also, i have a squire tele, and i was considering using the body and neck from that, and having the neck sanded down and refretted etc, although that would kinda restrict me to the control cavity thing again, meh, is there anything fundamentally shit about squire bodys that anyone knows of (i know the answer is probably going to be yes, but i thought id ask anyway)

did you know that squire teles have a different pickup selector than normal teles? its like 4 mm shorter or something, i replaced mine with a proper one and ended up having to drill some new holes in the control plate, the bastards, thats what you get for buying shit i guess, i didnt buy it really, i got it as a beginner for free, so cant complain.

hey, i got my body from eBay. it was just routed for two single coils. If your good with a chizel... then your sorted.... thats what i used. Did the job perfect. you could also drill it and then use a chizel to tidy up after.

if you want if to be someway decent... then forget about the Sqier... there body has plywood in it, so its gonna be shit. Its not a very good tonewood. You'd be wasting your money on that neck. you could get a really good neck for the price it would cost to do the work on it.

Tav.... bodies are 70 for a reason. Cheap price = cheap tone

Tav.... bodies are 70 for a reason. Cheap price = cheap tone

You don't have to tell me that, I know. The only reason these are 70 is that they are some left over stock from a factory somewhere so they are just selling them off.

As for routing cavities the best thing to use is...a router...sure chisels can be used but it's far easier to use a router. Infact anyone thinking of making guitars should invest in one as it saves alot of time and gives great results...or you could borrow/rent one if the price is too steep.

Originally posted by lime

so are these 70 bodies good, and just cheap cos theyr left overs? or cheap cos theyr left overs and shit?

sounds promising...

They are made of ash or alder which is your standard wood for a Fender body. They have been fully routed in the standard tele way. This means you could rout out the pick up holes to fit humbuckers or what not.

Unless your going for tonal snobbery I think a 70 body is a good deal...considering most replacement bodies cost around the same amount? And a guitar size slab of good alder is 70 anyhoo...your getting value and a solid piece of wood...what more could you want?

www.brandoniguitars.co.uk

or

roberto@brandonimusic.freeserve.co.uk

that ain't bad tav. i remember looking at them at one point.

warmoth stuff is excellent. i got the neck for the guitar i'm building just now from them. quick excellent service :D

That's where I am getting the neck for my telecaster...hand made body ala Tav from.

Black body. Mirrored steel steel scratch plate. Chrome 'bucker at bridge...prob. one of my own and a typical tele single at neck. Hard rock <white> maple neck with black machine heads. Chrome hard-ware on body. Standard tele wiring with a push/push pot on the humbucker to split it and a push/push mute switch for live gigs...or so the plan goes.

I also have plans for a V and a SG to be made up soon. I love building guitars.

Originally posted by Tav

That's where I am getting the neck for my telecaster...hand made body ala Tav from.

Black body. Mirrored steel steel scratch plate. Chrome 'bucker at bridge...prob. one of my own and a typical tele single at neck. Hard rock <white> maple neck with black machine heads. Chrome hard-ware on body. Standard tele wiring with a push/push pot on the humbucker to split it and a push/push mute switch for live gigs...or so the plan goes.

I also have plans for a V and a SG to be made up soon. I love building guitars.

i've made a tele and i'm just applying the finishing touches to my Fender Mustang

fab54a57.jpg

• 2 weeks later...