aberdeen-music

shareware music programmes

Guest scott cs.

i don't want to pay for programmes when there must be some free ones about. just don't know where to get the free ones or which ones are any good.

Shareware is software that begins with a trial, similar to a 'try before you buy' sort of thing

I think you are looking for a freeware program?

Guest scott cs.

i'd like something where i could just generate sounds from scratch. so, i'd like to make drum tracks and then put layers of bass or whatever on top of that. sorry if i'm being vague, but i want something that can do everything, if thats possible.

i'd like something where i could just generate sounds from scratch. so' date=' i'd like to make drum tracks and then put layers of bass or whatever on top of that. sorry if i'm being vague, but i want something that can do everything, if thats possible.[/quote']

Linux

for drums

hydrogen

for synth

qsynth

zynaddsubfx

amsynth

for multi tracking

ardour

MuSE

and plenty more

DeMuDi :up:

(Though their site appears to be shafted ATM.)

not to knock it, because i think demudi and agnula are great ways to get multimedia distributions, but the rate of change in the audio arena is so fast that i find Gentoo can't even keep up. this is especially true of ardour and zynaddsubfx.

do you do much audio / video work on linux? i recently tried mainactor for video work, and it's really, really slick - unfortunately it costs about 150 quid!

Guest Neubeatz

I hear this is cool 4 free,

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=news

Updated to version 1.01. Kristal Audio Engine is a powerful multi-track recorder, audio sequencer and mixer - ideal for anyone wanting to get started with recording, mixing and mastering digital audio.

It is designed as a modular system. The main application provides a mixing console, while the audio sequencer, live audio input and so on are loaded as separate PlugIns.

Kristal is FREEWARE

Features:

16 audio tracks

32 Bit floating point audio engine

44.1 to 192 kHz sample rate*

Downmix to 16/24/32 Bit audio files

3-band parametric EQ &

2 VST insert slots per channel

3 VST master effect slots

ASIO low latency audio driver support

4 Kristal PlugIn slots

Load/Save Kristal project files

Supported file formats: WAVE, AIFF, FLAC, OGG Vorbis

:):D:)

do you do much audio / video work on linux?

I need to find the time to try and get some funky tunes done, but I don't have a spare box to put DeMuDi/etc onto and I hate compiling stuff from src. (I suspect that most of the apps you listed aren't available under Xandros) so its gonna be a while before I get anywhere :-(