aberdeen-music

Electric Piano

Frosty Jack

I would really like to have a piano. But because the real thing is a heavy inconvenient beast, I'm looking for the nearest electronic equivalent. Without going daft on price, what's the simplest, most realistic option? I don't need any fancy features, just a full size, touch responsive keyboard with good piano sound, (possibly hammondy organ type sounds too, but not necessarily) but none of this '300 variants on flugelhorn with bossa nova soundtrack' pish.

Would a basic midi keyboard be a better option, say for recording through the pc?

Yeah, but weighted keys are gonna be a must for the midi keyboard. If you're a piano player, you'll notice the difference bewteen just spring loaded and weighted keys due to the response from playing. However, if you're not, an 88 key midi keyboard may set you back around 50 -80 bucks, depending on what extra fiddely bits you want on the side.

Id check gumtree etc; i managed to get 3 Roland RD250s for free. Granted there was keys missing/ soldering needing done, but we managed to get 2 working pianos out of it.

I have a nord electro which id reccomend - even though its not fully weighted.

If its just a piano sound your after = then maybe not for you as it does various things.

But the piano sounds are good and can be modified also if you need to.

The Rhodes and Organ sounds are amazing and the thing isnt too heavy - handy for gigging as its not that heavy to take on the bus/ train.

It does do midi also.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Although, just re-read your post - they are quite expensive.

Maybe best to do what the others said re gumtree.

I saved up for mine with 1months wages + 5 really CRAP sell your soul DJ gigs in order to afford it. So you could also do that! Frosty Jack DJ set at Codonas etc...

haha, amazing. But totally worth it! I also have the electro and it's just about the best thing I have ever bought.

I had a Roland RD170 before that, full stage piano, midi etc. I think you could pick one of these fairly cheaply... I may sell, although hadn't really considered it before now.