aberdeen-music

Bustin Loose - New Monthly Funk Night

Bustin Loose is a new live funk night that starts on 3rd of April in Cellar 35. It's a night of instrumental funk and groove music performed by the Bustin Loose Band playing you a mixture of original tracks and tracks based on some of the great material put out by funk bands of yore. For anyone who went to see Maceo Parker at the Lemon Tree for the Aberdeen Jazz Festival, then this is the type of night you will enjoy.

Throughout the year the venues will alternate to get different vibes and catch people in their favourite haunts so if you can't make it along to see us then perhaps we'll come and see you. The band features the exceptional skills of Rod Stewart on Bass, Chris Philip Drums, Scotty Cruickshank Guitar, Ben Sinkie on Keyboards, Colin Austin tenor sax, Sandy Duthie trumpet, Andy Ross alto sax.

The Details:

Sunday 3rd April

8pm Cellar 35

2 entry.

BEWARE, this is not a Jazz night so don't expect to hear 20 minute solo voyages on a sea of scales you've never heard of ... you come along to move your feet or to chill with some friends and a beer.

Hope to see you there!

You can check out the band/night facebook page here:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

We really just put up youtube tracks that we're interested in and may use as inspiration for some jamming on the night and a bit of music chat.

Here is the facebook event if you feel the need to be "attending":

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

• 4 weeks later...

The next Bustin Loose night is:

Musa

Sunday 24th April

Entry is still a mega cheap 2 on the door.

If you came to our inaugural gig then we've got new tracks prepared along with a bunch of the ones that worked really well that night. The show is about 2 hours of music.

What more could you want than a 4 piece horn section, bass, drums, guitar and keyboards!

Drink Brewdog, get funky.

Going to plug this a bit more on here this time. The last show was a great success both musically and in terms of people coming along but more is always better!

I'm really looking to get the night going like the weekend late night slots in the Jazz Bar in Edinburgh, if you've ever been along you'll get what I'm on about, but for the full on effect it has to be busy. You can't beat the atmosphere in that place from midnight to 3am in my opinion. Come along to check out what we're about on 24th (this Sunday), 2 is cheap, the beer is great and the venue is a good place for hanging out.

If you're not sure what to expect from a brassy instrumental funk band then I've posted a couple of the new tracks we're using as our inspiration. Hope that gives an idea of the kind of thing we do:

I am hoping to do a video and recording type thing in Musa to help promote future nights.

Guest droid
Going to plug this a bit more on here this time. The last show was a great success both musically and in terms of people coming along but more is always better!

I'm really looking to get the night going like the weekend late night slots in the Jazz Bar in Edinburgh, if you've ever been along you'll get what I'm on about, but for the full on effect it has to be busy. You can't beat the atmosphere in that place from midnight to 3am in my opinion. Come along to check out what we're about on 24th (this Sunday), 2 is cheap, the beer is great and the venue is a good place for hanging out.

If you're not sure what to expect from a brassy instrumental funk band then I've posted a couple of the new tracks we're using as our inspiration. Hope that gives an idea of the kind of thing we do:

I am hoping to do a video and recording type thing in Musa to help promote future nights.

And there's a beer promotion too...!8-)

late night jazz bar gigs are so much fun. Would be cool to get that kind of thing going in aberdeen. There isn't really anywhere you can go to dance to a live band for hours. it's standard gig nights or club nights. The jazz bar is kind of a hybrid place where the bands just jam for hours.

Guest droid
late night jazz bar gigs are so much fun. Would be cool to get that kind of thing going in aberdeen. There isn't really anywhere you can go to dance to a live band for hours. it's standard gig nights or club nights. The jazz bar is kind of a hybrid place where the bands just jam for hours.

Yeah dude that's the idea behind the whole thing,we are gonna try and make it monthly.The low door tax is to get peeps down to the night,and we are gonna try to keep it low.

Unfortunately Aberdeen can't support a venue like that 100% of the time. I am up for trying to get this kind of night working on a regular basis though so folk who are into it know they can get a wee taste. We're going to be preparing minimum of 2 new tracks every time we play so there will always be fresh music for regulars, something which my other funk endeavours lacked.

When I've played the Jazz Bar, from a musicians point of view, the way it works is a minimum fixed fee then half of the door profits after they recoup the fee. Unless there is a regular crowd I cannot bankroll that kind of money to attract good enough quality groups. If the nights are a success and can guarantee a certain number of people, we can then look at opening it up to other groups and doing it more like the Jazz Bar.

Hopefully anyone who is interested in playing this kind of thing themselves will be encouraged to set up groups of their own and eventually get involved. If there are any local groups doing anything similar come along to the night for a chat or get in touch here, facebook etc. I know there are DJs who are interested in funk and soul music, please also get in touch or come along to the night for a chat.