aberdeen-music

Who can repair old valve amp?

bac

I have a very old Music Man hybrid valve/solid state combo (a 115 65). It's been sitting unused in an old cellar for many many years and cosmetically it's in a pretty sorry state. I've just plugged it in for the first time in (literally) decades and it's working although making some disturbing crackling noises.

I'd like to get this completely overhauled if it can be done at a reasonable price. Anyone know of anyone locally who would do that kind of work?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this input guys. I've spoken to Dennis, he seems a very likeable and knowledgeable guy and he's quoted me a reasonable price to do the work. Just a case of getting the thing down to Fife and back.

That takes care of the electronics side. I get the impression that he's not so keen on the cosmetic side of things. He thinks it would reduce the value of a desirable vintage amp. I see his point, but I think I'd prefer to do something about its tatty state as well, which would involve replacing metal corner brackets, repairing or replacing the tolex and replacing the grill cloth. Anyone know of someone who'd do that kind of work?

That takes care of the electronics side. I get the impression that he's not so keen on the cosmetic side of things. He thinks it would reduce the value of a desirable vintage amp. I see his point, but I think I'd prefer to do something about its tatty state as well, which would involve replacing metal corner brackets, repairing or replacing the tolex and replacing the grill cloth. Anyone know of someone who'd do that kind of work?

Is that not something that you could largely do yourself once you've sourced the parts you need?

Is that not something that you could largely do yourself once you've sourced the parts you need?

It would be if I was remotely handy in that way, but I'm totally useless at that kind of practical job. Easier and safer to pay someone competent to do it.

im currently building my own extension cab which looks just like a bought one! If im happy enough with the finished results i'l do do it for ya! for a Small fee of course

Thanks Triggs. I may well take you up on that. Need to get the electronics fixed which will depend on when I can find time to get down to Fife - hopefully very soon. There are a couple of websites discussing restoration of MM amp/cabs so that may help.

This is not a "collector's" restoration or a restore to sell by the way. I've been playing bass but want to start playing guitar again and I want it fixed because it's hands-down the best sounding amp I've ever played through, and I've had any amount of vintage Marshalls, Fenders etc.