aberdeen-music

Sound City 50 Plus

Huw

I think I've had this amp for almost 2 years now. When I got it, it wasn't really working properly and about 6 months or so ago I took it down to see Dennis Marshall who fixed it up good and proper. It's quite a battered old thing (ripped tolex, bit of superficial rusting), but I'm goin to sort some of these issues soon. Despite this it has been restored to full working order by Dennis.

In case you didn't already know, Sound City were the company that preseded Hiwatt and were designed and built by Dallas Arbiter I believe. From what I've read, these amps were designed to be loud and clean, with minimal break up and this is exactly what it does. It's not a fender twinkly clean, but still a very nice different sort of tone nonetheless. This is the Mark IV version and has an active tone control circuit. It works well with a mild gain/clean boost in front of it, but will not be ideal for any ridiculous distortion.

I'm really just putting this out as a feeler to see if there is a market locally for something like this, as I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit more suited to what I'm playing. Pristine versions seem to go on ebay around the 450-550 mark and this one is in full working order, but has a quite a bit of cosmetic damage, so I'm open to offers.

I'm in the market for either a vintagey single channel head (JCM 800/JMP) or a non-metal dual channel (Orange Rocker/Thunderverb etc) and would definitely consider trades.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...