Hush Hush

JAMES BLAKE

(Mount Kimbie/R&S)

Djamba & Giles Walker

29th Jan

Origin, Aberdeen

7 Adv, tickets online here TicketWeb

Tickets also available in One Up soon.

Impressing everyone from the dubstep hardcore, the indie fraternity, to the Guardian and Pitchfork; James Blakes pitch bent, warped and sometimes elegant take on the post dubstep landscape cannot be overstated. His collaborations and live shows with Mount Kimbie recently blew critics and listeners away and even with the modest number of solo releases he has under his belt, James has established his place in UK hardcore continuum history.

Listen to his take on 'Limit To Your Love' and see what all the hype is really about;

Hush Hush presidents and curators Djamba and Giles Walker on the warm up as always.

Hush Hush

Guest Giles Walker
i asked in one up today whether it was live or just a DJ set because it is completely unclear from the poster - according to them it is just a DJ set. if it is i doubt i'll bother going.

It's this precise attitude that makes promoting in Aberdeen all the more worthwhile...

It's this precise attitude that makes promoting in Aberdeen all the more worthwhile...

Eh, to be fair, the poster is unclear mate. I imagine you'll (origin, not you personally) get quite a few punters turning up thinking he's playing live, that's the impression most people I know have of this show, that it'll be a live set. In fact, with the numerous people I've talked to about it, not one person has thought it was a DJ set.

most electronic producers only do dj sets and this doesn't have to be specified for club night bookings like this one. agencies are very specific as to the billing of artists in such cases, and as he only recently established his live show (far after we'd booked him, and which doesn't even start touring until next month) there is no need to detail whether its with live vocals or not. if you want to check other posters and flyers billing of him over the last few months then go right ahead. if you don't come because you dont want to see a dj set thats fine, but i doubt you'll get to see a performance by him in Aberdeen again. we are charging 7 for this, which is stupidly cheap in the first place and will probably only just cover our outgoing costs.

most electronic producers only do dj sets and this doesn't have to be specified for club night bookings like this one. agencies are very specific as to the billing of artists in such cases, and as he only recently established his live show (far after we'd booked him, and which doesn't even start touring until next month) there is no need to detail whether its with live vocals or not. if you want to check other posters and flyers billing of him over the last few months then go right ahead. if you don't come because you dont want to see a dj set thats fine, but i doubt you'll get to see a performance by him in Aberdeen again. we are charging 7 for this, which is stupidly cheap in the first place and will probably only just cover our outgoing costs.

Woah, dude, relax, wasn't trying to have a pop at you. I think you lot did a good job of getting him here and it's a pretty reasonable ticket price, I'm just saying that people are getting the wrong impression from the poster. James Blake seems to be popular across a big cross-section of people, that might be the problem. If you go to see a lot of electronic producers, you'll know it's probably a DJ set. A lot of people that dig him are indie kids, or whatever, and all the DJ sets they usually see have that plastered on the side of the poster.

And uh, didn't say I wasn't going to see him cos it was a DJ set. Will probably swing by out of curiosity and also I dig what I've heard from Giles Walkers' sets. But that's just me.

Guest Giles Walker
Eh, to be fair, the poster is unclear mate. I imagine you'll (origin, not you personally) get quite a few punters turning up thinking he's playing live, that's the impression most people I know have of this show, that it'll be a live set. In fact, with the numerous people I've talked to about it, not one person has thought it was a DJ set.

Not really, we started enquiring about James Blake after the CMYK ep came out, so this is about summer last year. There was the 'Limit to your love' cover floating about on an mp3 from a dj set he did on a radio show, but not really any word of a live show.

The artwork for our flyers and posters was done whilst we waited for the confirmation of the gig, so we could get the date added and then get them out.

I think most of our regulars would not expect him to be doing a live set and we never really wanted him to do one in Origin anyway.

Guest Giles Walker
Will probably swing by out of curiosity and also I dig what I've heard from Giles Walkers' sets.

Ha cheers man.

As a warning, he won't be spinning much in the way of indie music i wouldn't imagine.

Not really, we started enquiring about James Blake after the CMYK ep came out, so this is about summer last year. There was the 'Limit to your love' cover floating about on an mp3 from a dj set he did on a radio show, but not really any word of a live show.

The artwork for our flyers and posters was done whilst we waited for the confirmation of the gig, so we could get the date added and then get them out.

I think most of our regulars would not expect him to be doing a live set and we never really wanted him to do one in Origin anyway.

Like I said in the previous post, think maybe the problem might be there'll be a lot of non regulars and people who don't go to dubstep/electronica shows. If you're into mostly indie and you see this poster, you'd be forgiven for presuming it was him doing his own songs. He seems to be popular with loads of different people so maybe this is why this is coming up with a few people I know.

Aye and I don't particularly dig indie exclusively, just a lot of people I speak to do. Congrats on you lot getting this done though, regardless. Should be a great night for all involved.

Guest Giles Walker
Like I said in the previous post, think maybe the problem might be there'll be a lot of non regulars and people who don't go to dubstep/electronica shows. If you're into mostly indie and you see this poster, you'd be forgiven for presuming it was him doing his own songs. He seems to be popular with loads of different people so maybe this is why this is coming up with a few people I know.

Aye and I don't particularly dig indie exclusively, just a lot of people I speak to do. Congrats on you lot getting this done though, regardless. Should be a great night for all involved.

I gets ya, our responsibility lies with our regulars though. We aren't gonna start booking Gordy from Bloc Party to come and do any Grindie sets at Hush Hush any time in the near future, so i don't see any real reason to change the way we go about things tbh.

Also fuck getting another load of posters and flyers printed up, that shit is expensive and do you really want us to do that to the environment just so some people who will probably never come back to our night are kept in the loop?

Maybe we could light a big bonfire out of plastic bags and car tires to attract people on the night as well.

Is this what you want??!?

I gets ya, our responsibility lies with our regulars though. We aren't gonna start booking Gordy from Bloc Party to come and do any Grindie sets at Hush Hush any time in the near future, so i don't see any real reason to change the way we go about things tbh.

Also fuck getting another load of posters and flyers printed up, that shit is expensive and do you really want us to do that to the environment just so some people who will probably never come back to our night are kept in the loop?

Maybe we could light a big bonfire out of plastic bags and car tires to attract people on the night as well.

Is this what you want??!?

Hahaha, You're alright, Giles. I'm sure it'll all work out well for you lot, sans bonfire. And well done again for getting a big up and coming name to the city.

I think that's a bit harsh.

The question I originally asked (live or DJ) was legitimate, especially in a predominantly 'Gigs' forum.

To be honest I've no real interest in a DJ set , but probably would've came along if it was a live set (as per Panda Strong's comment).

It's an amazing coup to get James Blake in Aberdeen, regardless - so, nice work!

Guest Giles Walker
I think that's a bit harsh.

The question I originally asked (live or DJ) was legitimate, especially in a predominantly 'Gigs' forum.

To be honest I've no real interest in a DJ set , but probably would've came along if it was a live set (as per Panda Strong's comment).

It's an amazing coup to get James Blake in Aberdeen, regardless - so, nice work!

I never said that the question of whether or not this was a live gig was irrelevant in the first place, i would have replied once i had noticed it.

I also don't think my comment was harsh.

So there :p

I never said that the question of whether or not this was a live gig was irrelevant in the first place, i would have replied once i had noticed it.

I also don't think my comment was harsh.

So there :p

So what did you mean when you said: "It's this precise attitude that makes promoting in Aberdeen all the more worthwhile..." once it was established it was a DJ set?

I don't get what "the attitude" is...

Apologies for trivialising the thread! :popcorn:

*Categorise under market research*

Guest Tam o' Shantie

the absolute only reason i asked about blake performing live in the other thread is that the one and only time i saw him, in november, he was actually doing a rather interesting mixture of live performance mixed with straight spinning (with a heavy emphasis on his rap etc remixes). actually i might have imagined that completely.

I've seen live footage of him at a synth with a guitarist and a guy hitting a drum machine. This I'd go see. A dj set I probably wouldn't. Not because I don't go to see djs, I do a lot. More so than live bands even. But I'd want to see him do his songs. There are plenty specifically dj djs I know I'd enjoy and would therefore splash the cash on them instead. The criticism in this thread is fair, so is the praise for booking him. It has nothing to do with aberdeen, that's a tired cop out that we've seen for years. It's almost insulting to suggest we (aberdonian electronic music fans) should be less discerning when it comes to what to expect at a gig. Not saying you were but that's how I read it. The days where you can book a big name at kef and fill the place with taps aff sweaty folk regardless of what the show consists of are gone. It's not an underhanded tactic to omit the 'dj set' part on the poster but I'm sure you know fine well what effect it has. I.e. people turning up to see a live show.

Nae offence.