aberdeen-music

Kinect hacks

ZeromiserY

the kinect was hacked something like 3 hours after it was officicially released in Europe.

i'm looking for help with this guide: Getting Started Windows - OpenKinect

and getting FAAST working ( Flexible Action and Articulated Skeleton Toolkit (FAAST) )

i've managed to install the drivers on my pc but i'm having trouble compiling anything from the above wiki or getting any demo software to run (i'm assuming because i dont have any of the correct .dll files in the system.32 folder as i havent been able to get the build to run properly?)

i'm way out of my depth, i know very little about programming especially in this language.

if anyone thinks they can help please give me a shout.

microsoft were intially pissed off about the whole thing but quickly changed their mind when they realised there was money to be made. they are rumoured to release official drivers and SDK in the near future but i think the homebrew scene will be infinitely more interesting. i've already seen someone running max payne on the PC using the kinect and the wii remote in tandem and that looks 1000 times better than any offical wii or kinect game.

mods: MS have now said there will be no recourse for any kinect hacking, i've had previous hacking threads deleted but since M$ are now on board with this i'm hoping you let this one fly.

microsoft were intially pissed off about the whole thing but quickly changed their mind when they realised there was money to be made. they are rumoured to release official drivers and SDK in the near future but i think the homebrew scene will be infinitely more interesting. i've already seen someone running max payne on the PC using the kinect and the wii remote in tandem and that looks 1000 times better than any offical wii or kinect game.

mods: MS have now said there will be no recourse for any kinect hacking, i've had previous hacking threads deleted but since M$ are now on board with this i'm hoping you let this one fly.

I think initially MS actually misunderstood the nature of the hack and thought people had been accessing the proprietary hardware inside the Kinect itself. Once they realised they were just plugging it into a PC and using custom drivers they released they decided to opensource the drivers to make it easier for everyone to come up with their own applications.

There's some very cool stuff being done with it.

If I had a Kinect I'd be tempted to give this a try but I don't so I can't help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...