aberdeen-music

"It's A Disaster" review on Punktastic.com - 4/5!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie
This is the first release from this band, who hail from Aberdeen, Scotland, and considering all of the guys in this band are only 18, this is a great first release. Released on Tam O Shantie Records (Ive never heard of them, anyone?), if I hadnt of known, I would have thought Lookout had released this around 10 years ago (not an insult!). Their sound encapsulates all of the bubblegum rock-and-roll fun of such bands as The Mr T Experience and The Queers (who theyve supported).

The production quality of this release isnt tidy, but this gives the music an edge. You can imagine these songs played by a more mainstream act, and loosing all of their ragged appeal from an over-tidy production. As it is, the loosely played open guitar chords and the free drumming give the music energy and substance, perfect for the genre. Vocalist and guitarist JJ Bull has a very appealing voice, and the backing vocals supplied by the other two members of the band (Adam Morrice on Bass and Tom Banks on Drums) are spot on and add powerful hooks that hark back to the surf-pop sounds of 50s and 60s America.

Opening with a song thats just less than 4 minutes long is risky, but the catchiness of Two Days means it feels like 2 minutes long. There is a fairly long instrumental break near the end of this song that could maybe be reconsidered, as this type of music is best in short sharp bursts. Second track Parking reminds me of early Green Day, and the line oh my god I cant wait to get home and play cards all night is loveable in its nerdiness, coupled with perfect ooh-ooh backing vocals.

Stephanie and The Clinic offer more danceable, nerdy pop-punk, before Whoops hits with a slower pace and careful use of a piano to compliment the guitar backing. This song is not quite as instant and catchy as the previous four, possibly the weakest song here, but by no means a bad song. The final track on here is probably the best here, with a chorus vocal line complimented by high backing vocals that will stick in your head for ages. Titled The Man Who Tried To Sell Your House, it starts off with a rocking riff which signals possibly a hard song to finish the EP off with, but its just as catchy as the others, if not more so. To be honest, I have no idea what is being said within these lyrics, but theyre pretty funny to read. Sample lyric: Im the man who tried to sell your house, no wait, Im not the man who tried to sell your house the job had been done they killed the man who tried to sell your house.

Having already played under The Queers, The Real McKenzies, Captain Everything and Jesse James, it looks like 10 Easy Wishes are off to a flying start, and they can only get better. Judging by the level theyre at now, theyre going to be pretty damn good. If theyre playing anywhere near you, go see this band and youll be dancing and singing along all night. (4/5)

http://www.10easywishes.com

Ben Gosling

I am happy.

Guest highroller

well done guys...thats awesome...its been great watching you grow from the wee guys at the show i put you on at lava (your second or third gig ever) to the great band you are.....

the green day thing is funny though...now do you believe us all hehehehehe!!!

seriously

im proud that you are from aberdeen.