aberdeen-music

wiring

i can't decide what way to wire.

has anyone experimented with different wirings?

i can't decide to get a 2 or 3 toggle switch either, so im versatile to different wiring.

its a 4 wire humbucker pickup

gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gasgas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas?

tell us a bit more...

what pickups are in the guitar, and what controls are there

and what are you wanting out of the guitar in terms of controls and sounds

first thoughts would be wiring it up as normal, and using a push/pull pot to switch between singlecoil/humbucker. but that dosent include what pickups/conmtrols the guitar actually has

David

it's a seymour duncan hot rail neck position,

it's on a telecaster, but i plan to have

the two pickups wired into seperate volume

and tone pots, so it wont be in parrallel

or series with any other pickups (unless anyone has a better sugestion),

i was intresting in the noise canceling feature.

i want the pickup to give me a lot of output.

i plan to use a 2 or 3 toggle switch with the pickup instead of a push pull pot.

i play a range of stuff from mogwai to trail of

dead to quieter stuff like yo la tengo, also intrested

in getting a jazz like tone, when used in conjunction

with my single coil tele pickup in the bridge position

im versatile though, to pretty much any wiring with the

two pickups, as im customising the wiring fully

i originally planned a tone/volume circuit for each pickup, with the output of each combining at the jack

brasssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

so you are going to have a volume and tone for each pickup then the normal three way switch and output?

first thoughts are that its a tele, so only 2 controls, so to use 2 controls for each pickup you would need stacked pots like these -

CncncPotDiag.jpg

here its quite near the top.

those would let you use an individual tone/vol for each pickup, and they would be wired up as normal

also, if you were wanting to do a coil tap on the pickup, you would probably need to install an extra switch, you would need a small dpdt togle switch, then you would drill a new hole in the electronics plate (the metal part) to mount it in

David

im customising the wiring, which means new pots, 2 for each pickup, its a tele body, im routing cavities, it's not going to be a 3 way switch, its going to be a 2 or 3 way toggle (to switch between different wirings on the humbucker)

X-( X-( X-( X-(

X-(

X-( X-( X-( X-( X-(

my question is how do you recomend wiring up the humbucker, as there would apear to be about 8 different ways, what do different ways sound like and which do you recomend?

i only really know of one way to wire up a humbucker... the only differences i know of are coil tapping it.

this is the diagram for a humbucker with one voilume and one tone and a coil tap (im not sure about the wiring for the tap, but its the duncan diagram, so i guess it should be right) if its a sd pickup you have, then the colours on this are the same as the colours on your pickup

1hb_1vol_1tone-w-coil_split.jpg

are you going to have anythng to switch between the pickups, or just use the separate volumes to cut and mix as you please?

David

Guest Electric Tibet

If it's any use, I have had a number of different wirings in my strat over the years.

I have a DPDT mini toggle switch installed which has been used variously to combine two pickups in series, split the coils of a humbucker, as an on/off kill switch or nothing at all at the moment.

I didn't like splitting the coils of a single-coil sized humbucker. I found it a bit thin and low on output compared to the original single coil but it might be what you want (say for example, if you wanted to behead the audience).

The series wiring was quite interesting, it combined the middle and bridge pickups in series, in phase instead of in parallel, out of phase. It was bigger and beefier but still sounded like a strat.

Am I right in thinking that you would like to use the pickup selector only to split the coils on the humbucker and use the individual volume controls to select pickups? This would be cool as long as you didn't need to change between pickups during songs, unless you are really nifty with two volume knobs!

Having separate tone controls for both pickups is a good idea as single coils and humbuckers need different value pots. When I had the humbucker installed I kept the original bridge tone pot - it sounded much better when it was changed to the correct value.

I found a schematic giving you 6 sounds (Neck, bridge, Neck+bridge, Neck+bridge in series, neck+bridge out of phase) using a 5-way strat switch and no other modifications.

http://archive.guitarplayer.com/archive/gear/hrm4.shtml

I hope this is of some use.

first of all, 'gas'.

v decided to use the following switches,

- an on/off/on double pole toggle (wired for humbucker/off/tap)

- an on/on toggle(single pole) (wired for on/off for the single coil pickup)

the pickups are to be wired into these toggles first, then their seperate tone/volume controls.

i then intend to wire in a last 3 way pickup selector,wired to series/series(out of phase)/parrallel

before i go about trying to figure out how to wire this,does anyone know if this is an impossible set up for some reason,

or if somepart about it is a bad idea.

anyone who wants to give me a circuit diagramof how this would look would be my best friend.love lime.(via dancey mailing services)

X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-(

gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas

gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas

gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas

gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas

gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas

gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas