aberdeen-music

benga album

Stripey

So, benga - diary of an afro warrior, is out in a few weeks, anyone looking forward to it?

There are a couple of tracks on it which I'm already kind of sick of hearing in circulation for the past few months such as Crunked Up and Emotions (which are nice enough tunes). One which caught my attention though was Zero M2, which has some nice upright bass and rhode vibes going on, marred only by a kind of return to the banal in the middle which does the rest of the tune a disservice. It's almost as if he's bunged that in so as not to scare off people who've decided dubstep is all about wobble. I think otherwise though this tune points to an interesting new direction in dubstep which I've kind of been hoping would happen for a long time.

I'm kind of underwhelmed by the rest of the album, The Cut for example uses the think break, and not particularly cleverly - it's just one of those ancient breaks that along with the likes of the commodores assembly line is becoming incredibly boring. Loose Synths should never have seen the light of day, and I've already forgotten the name of some of the other tracks.

Guest Giles Walker

Of course doooder and to be honest to hear that one of the tunes has the Think break in it makes me more excited.

I reckon it is being used as the Bmore scene has gained popularity again and that scene is pretty much dominated by the Think and the Sing Sing breaks. I play alot of tunes that use that break, i think it is cool.

I have to say i haven't heard a tune that samples The Assembly Line break for about ten years now. Did you know that Gloria Jones sings backing vocals on that tune? The chick who sang Tainted Love first and was married to Mark Bolan, she was even in the car when he died.

I have a nice remix of Benga and Coki's 'Night' on my blog at the moment.

Check it out, i am so current i might get dragged under and drown